PDA

View Full Version : MaleLion @ Mara Triangle

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-29-2013, 08:20 AM
<tbody>
Camera
Canon EOS 7D (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/)

Exposure
(1/200)

Aperture
f/4.0

Focal Length
116 mm

ISO Speed

Exposure Bias
0 EV

</tbody>

hennieloots
09-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Beautiful specimen of a male you captured here and at 116mm Fl he could not be to far off! I like the composition and details on the lion. The DOF works well for me and the plain grassland forms a pleasant BG. I would decrease the contrast in particularly the mane and face IMHO, as it looks a bit to sharpened/contrasty - small nit. Great image and TFS.
Cheers
Hennie

Gregor Bergquist
09-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Hi Sanjeev

I agree with Hennie about the face. I also detect some kind of cast in the grass. For me it looks magenta/redish looking - but checking in LR it is more orange. Anyway it disturbs me. I also thinks the grass looks very harsh, over sharpened? Comp wise a option would be to remove top 1/4.

TFS / Gregor

Loi Nguyen
09-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Sanjeeve, this is a good specimen of a lion male her that you captured. Agreed with Gregor regarding the magenta cast and the over sharpened grass. You had good eye contact here, but the image has a couple of issues for me. It needs more space at the bottom for the 'virtual legs." I know, I made same mistakes many times here. I think the image is a bit bright and the whites were blown. I'd try to reduce exposure to bring out more details and contrast and recover the highlights. I'd also suggest taking some of the top and left. Loi

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks for your feedback. The grass was of that color believe me! It had this reddish hue which was unique I thought. Will check on the sharpening and comp and rework.

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Hi Sanjeev, I think you were struggling with light based on your techs, could you not have swopped bodies and crank up the ISO to greater better DOF & SS, as it looks like the Lion was on a stroll? If you got te guide to move the vehicle left so you were in front of the Lion I feel would have given you a better angle & composition. I away so using the laptop, but just a thought and depending on what you use for conversion, but just dropping the Tint slider in ACR may just reduce that Magenta tint. I will drop you a line to try something to. A little more space below would be better, but not a deal breaker, however I do feel there is too much above. In this pose I would prefer the HA to be facing the camera, but I think we can get too fixed on that, IMHO it all depends on the content of the image as it's not always key.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
09-30-2013, 04:11 AM
Hi Sanjeev,

very nice image. You got already lots of suggestions above from all. There I agree with Hennie and George as well.
The grass has for me as well a tad to much magenta/red. But you have been there and not me.

Have a great week

Ciao

Anette

Rachel Hollander
09-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Hi Sanjeev - you've gotten great suggestions above both for in the field improvement and in pp. I agree on needing more space below and a little less above. He does look like a nice specimen and hopefully if he was strolling along you got to work with him for a bit and may have another image that addresses some of the in the field issues.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Immediately saw the need for more space below and the strong red/magenta cast overall. Good suggestions given above to rectify these.
Was just in the Mara Triangle and loved it! :cheers:

edwardselfe
10-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Most things mentioned - sorry been away a while and not been on BPN. Could be good with some of the above suggestions implemented.
Ed