PDA

View Full Version : Does size really matter?

dankearl
09-28-2013, 05:59 PM
This was the waterfall I was hiking to when I stopped to take the converging stream photo I posted the other day.
Fairy Falls, a 20 ft. high waterfall in the land of giant waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge.
One of the nicest.
Another one that I used Photoshop for, I used content fill at the top to get rid of a patch of sky
and I used PS layer channels to try to get the water color white which is the most difficult thing to get right.......
I did finish in NX2 for color and sharpening which I find better to use.

24mm, D800, f8, 1/2 sec.

DSC_8405ps22bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132956&stc=1&d=1380409069)

Don Nelson
09-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Dan
This one could use about 4 degrees of rotation to make it right.
Well done -- you could also remove the purple in the rocks at the top. use a layer and expose the area with a mask132957 (not done here - just 4 degrees of rotation to get the water falling vertically

dankearl
09-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks, Don and yeah I knew it, but just couldn't bring myself to rotate it all the way and lose the bit of
red color in the plants in the ULC.
A mistake in the field! standing in the creek and not paying attention.
I mainly processed this for myself as a photoshop exercise to see if I could get the water color right in PS.
Since nobody except yourself and a couple of others comment, I didn't worry about rotation.
Not sure why I even bother posting here, except for your fine advice...
I appreciate it.

Andrew McLachlan
09-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi Dan,

I think you nailed the water just right in terms of both shutter speed and in optimizing the image in Photoshop. Don's crop takes care of the rotation nicely, but I would take it one step further and crop in a little bit more on the left to lose the tiny cascading water in the lower left area that is cut-off by the frame edge. Have you considered using the 'virtual horizon' feature of the D800? While I normally use a bubble level in the hot-shoe, I do use the virtual horizon feature frequently as well.

Do keep posting your landscapes, as each new post is better than the last.....and not let the views vs comments discourage you. Great suggestions in a few comments is still great advice.

TFS.

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Dan, another nice capture. I hate commenting after Don cause he does such a bloody fine job at critiquing... :5 :w3
I can see the rotation making a big difference, how about also boosting luminosity a bit by bumping midtone exposure up a little?

Since nobody except yourself and a couple of others comment, I didn't worry about rotation.
Not sure why I even bother posting here, except for your fine advice...
I appreciate it.

A few good comments is better than a lot of worthless ones, IMHO...:w3
Your images and the responses to them are giving everyone some nice pointers for shooting landscapes, please don't stop posting...
:cheers:

Markus Jais
10-04-2013, 03:27 PM
I like this a lot. The colors and the light are great. Composition works very well. Do you also have shots with an even longer shutter speed? This might also look great with a shutter speed of 4 or 8 seconds.

Markus