PDA

View Full Version : High Key Polar Bear #2

Rachel Hollander
09-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Another attempt at a high key polar bear image. I have color and b&w versions of this one and will post both here. I'm curious as to which one people prefer. I know this has even more white than my other high key image and won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Canon 5D3
300 II plus 2x III
1/3200
f5.6
ISO 800
Monopod from moving boat.

I almost posted this in OOTB instead of Wildlife because I did more pp and this is more artsy than my usual images. Crop for comp, increased exp to bg, levels and curves adjustments selectively to the bears, cloned out any remaining darker areas of the ice/snow (yes, I cloned :S3:)and sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
09-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Converted in Nik Silver Efex

Diane Miller
09-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Very nice!! I prefer the B/W as the obvious processing fits better with the processed BG.

I wonder what the color version would look like with just a hint of detail left in the BG?

dankearl
09-27-2013, 10:32 PM
The B&W is much better. If you are going this small in the frame, I think it needs another element to work.
A dark patch of ice, water, just something more?
Another nice creative effort, but I would crop a bit if there is nothing more in the image.

Martin Dunn
09-28-2013, 03:54 AM
That's a lot of white BG Rachel.
I think the B+W version works best and, as with your previous post, I think the larger the better for this photo. Even at 1200 pixels it is too small.

Gabriela Plesea
09-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Rachel! Cool image! MY cuppa tea! I love both.Maybe the first one is a tad more attractive to me, I love the colours on the bear. The eye contact really does it for me. Interesting question/suggestion from Diane, how about a tiny bit of detail just under the bear's feet, so that they do not disappear so bluntly into the white? Excellent image:5, mmm...I can just imagine a huge poster on a bare wall, just a tiny bear in this endless white landscape...

Hope you are enjoying your week-end, we are waiting for Mr. Carl Walker to walk in anytime now-it looks like PP talk the whole evening, whew, just what we needed:bg3:

Warmest regards,

Andre Pretorius
09-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Well done Rachel- I do not have the guts/vision to go for something this arty:Whoa!:! I prefer the colour version more, but would like a bit of detail somewhere in FG/BG to anchor/ add a bit of depth. What a image!

Anette Mossbacher
09-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Wow Rachel, so much white comes from you ? Congrats, love it. I think both versions work here great for me. Love both of them.
Very well done :5

Enjoy your weekend

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Hi Rachel, I like the approach & direction, as for your thoughts on popping into OOTB due to 'more' processing I am comfortable that you post in both Forums, your call. I too prefer the B/W and with time to reflect, I quite like the large expanse of white.

Well done Rachel- I do not have the guts/vision to go for something this arty
Andre you need to keep exploring and pushing yourself, 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'. Perhaps some homework for you. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and suggestions. I prefer the b&w and do see this as a potential large canvas. I did look at including a bit more detail in the snow by the feet when processing but didn't really like it so continued to this starker bg.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2013, 03:12 PM
This works better than the other one for me, darnit if I can't put my finger on why exactly...:e3
Funny enough, I prefer the colour one - love how their "off white" coats set them off against the white backgrounds they live in.

Rachel Hollander
10-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks Morkel :wave:

edwardselfe
10-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Cool pic. Prefer the colour but the sharp drop-off under the feet is more noticeable in the colour one than B&W which is in the favour of the B&W.
Like the background but would crop in a bit - again unless there was lots MORE white!

Ed