PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 1D3/D3 focus test

Gene C. Callison
05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
This can't be true!!!!!!!! How could this be?

Gene

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/pro-photo-reviews-articles/76674-canon-canon-1d-camera-canon-mkiii-camera-vs-nikon-nikon-d3-camera-sports-autofocus-showdown.html (http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/pro-photo-reviews-articles/76674-canon-canon-1d-camera-canon-mkiii-camera-vs-nikon-nikon-d3-camera-sports-autofocus-showdown.html)

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Since I got the 1D Mark III back with the submirror fix and micro-calibrated the lens for AF, I am very happy with the performance. Is it different then the Mark IIn? You bet. The Mark IIn is still the one to beat for AF of birds, but once you get used to the new Mark III AF differences, it performs well. I just forces you to be more accurate - single sensor use higher then on the Mark IIn.

Based on my SAAF workshop images where I used the 1D Mark III and D300, I say the Mark III edges out the D300 - though I am still getting used to the D300.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Since I got the 1D Mark III back with the submirror fix and micro-calibrated the lens for AF, I am very happy with the performance. Is it different then the Mark IIn? You bet. The Mark IIn is still the one to beat for AF of birds, but once you get used to the new Mark III AF differences, it performs well. I just forces you to be more accurate - single sensor use higher then on the Mark IIn.

Based on my SAAF workshop images where I used the 1D Mark III and D300, I say the Mark III edges out the D300 - though I am still getting used to the D300.

Have you noticed a difference with the new firmware 1.2.3?

Jim Poor
05-08-2008, 07:22 PM
While it certainly is interesting, if you apply some S.C.A.N. techniques to the text, it sounds a lot like someone trying too hard to sound unbiased.

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Have you noticed a difference with the new firmware 1.2.3?

Axel,

I just loaded it this evening and was going through the new Custom Functions. I am out shooting this weekend and will report back on Monday.

Gene C. Callison
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
While it certainly is interesting, if you apply some S.C.A.N. techniques to the text, it sounds a lot like someone trying too hard to sound unbiased.

Ahh, did you read the last paragraph? That doesn't sound like someone who is biased.

Gene

Robert O'Toole
05-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Since I got the 1D Mark III back with the submirror fix and micro-calibrated the lens for AF, I am very happy with the performance. Is it different then the Mark IIn? You bet. The Mark IIn is still the one to beat for AF of birds, but once you get used to the new Mark III AF differences, it performs well. I just forces you to be more accurate - single sensor use higher then on the Mark IIn

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

That is probably the main reason I will never own a 1DMKIII. A pro camera with a price of $4500 that forces you to use a single sensor doesnt exactly sound attractive. Sad but really the 1DMKIII is probably the best thing Canon has ever released......for Nikon :)

Who needs 51 point, 3D, 1005 pixel RGB AF anyway :)

Robert

FYI, I shoot Canon and Nikon in case you are wondering.

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

That is probably the main reason I will never own a 1DMKIII. A pro camera with a price of $4500 that forces you to use a single sensor doesnt exactly sound attractive. Sad but really the 1DMKIII is probably the best thing Canon has ever released......for Nikon :)

Who needs 51 point, 3D, 1005 pixel RGB AF anyway :)

Robert

FYI, I shoot Canon and Nikon in case you are wondering.

Robert,

The Mark III will work just fine with 45 point on sky background and non-textured BG's but will jump to textured BG's easily. The Mark IIn as you know is much more tolerate of this but I found when going back and forth with both over the last couple of months, the 45 point in the Mark IIn may be better then the Mark III but is not perfect. If I want repeatable results from both, especially on a textured BG,a single sensor is the best way. I find this with the D300 as well.

I find with my D300 that textured BG's confuse it too. Not sure if as much as the Mark III but I have my share of OOF images in those circumstances.

Anyway, I just don't think the Mark III now is that big a failure. With the fixes I am satisfied with the results. Since I own both systems, this is not brand loyalty and I am a former Nikon film camera user.

Anyway, As I noted I am getting used to the D300 with 200-400mm VR and maybe I will have a different opinion at year's end.

Robert O'Toole
05-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Anyway, I just don't think the Mark III now is that big a failure. With the fixes I am satisfied with the results. Since I own both systems, this is not brand loyalty and I am a former Nikon film camera user.

Good to hear they are making it work!

Most people that I know that shoot with the camera use the center point all the time, that is why I mentioned that.

As long as it works and does the job I dont care what the name plate says.

Robert