PDA

View Full Version : Solitary Bristlecone

Diane Miller
09-26-2013, 10:37 AM
From the Patriarch Grove, in the White Mountains east of Bishop, CA. Canon 5D converted to IR, Canon 16-35 II at 31mm. ISO 100, f/6.7, 1/180. Converted to B/W and toned in Silver Efex Pro, with some Structure brought up.

The tree was this lonely -- no retouching at all here. This is a magical place.

Nancy Bell
09-26-2013, 02:01 PM
This is extremely dramatic! Very well seen and processed! Love the composition of all the vertical trunks reaching up to the sky, and then having your eye is drawn down to the ground to the horizontal trunks that extend out of the image. The sharp contrast at the horizon enhances the loneliness and desolation. I would consider cropping just a bit off the left side as it seems to be more empty space than needed, especially when all the visual interest is to the right. However, that single bare branch is perfectly positioned to create balance.

LinzRiverBalmer
09-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Anyone else see the lady holding up part of the tree on the right???

i want to hug this tree

Diane Miller
09-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Nancy, I considered a little CCW rotation -- that might work for the issue you raise. The main trunk is vertical but there is a lot of weight on the right that could be balanced a little better. Who knows where the horizon should be... Nothing is level or plumb up there. Not enough oxygen, I guess.

Linz, what a great compliment -- for the tree, not for me! Thanks -- on behalf of the tree!!

I posted a picture of a different tree on another site where I hang out and a friend said it should charge for being photographed.

Cindy Cone
09-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Wonderful image, Diane! Beautiful tones and lovely composition. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

Cheryl Slechta
09-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Beautiful image, Diane. I wouldn't change a thing either. :S3:

Judy Howle
09-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Great image Diane! I love the shape and textures of the tree and the toning which looks like the same one in SE that I used on my cloud face photo. Very dramatic!

Diane Miller
09-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks, everyone! It's a special place.