PDA

View Full Version : Seven Faces

Diane Miller
09-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Visited a sculpture garden today that has a wall with a bunch of masks embedded. I shot some of them and took seven of the more realistic-looking ones (which weren't very realistic-looking) and did a faux multiple exposure in PS. Just rotated and re-sized to line up features as much as possible, and did some minor cloning on a couple. The dark vignette was added.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Diane,

Greetings. Very cool! I'm not sure what I would have thought this was... real, person with heavy make up? Has a strong three-dimensional presentation. Very engaging. Good show!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
09-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi, Diane, this is really creative. I love the idea of a multiple exposure to give it a little bit of mystery:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
09-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Love the feel and the textures. I thought it was a real person!

Judy Howle
09-24-2013, 06:52 PM
It is a cool composite with layering the different masks together. I thought of a death mask when I first saw it because it's so pale and not quite realistic.

Nancy Bell
09-25-2013, 07:23 PM
This is somewhat haunting, especially with the eyes closed. Wonderful shading of colors that highlight the lines on the face. The arched lines above the eyes and the very slight ones on the lips capture my attention and add mystery to this woman. Very good idea on adding the vignette.

Diane Miller
09-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks, everyone!

The masks were all ceramic. Many looked like primitive plaster casts of real faces -- sort of....

It was amazing to watch the face "develop" as I turned on successive layers.

Cindy Cone
09-26-2013, 08:08 AM
What a great image, Diane. Very mysterious and compelling. Without your description, I really would have wondered if it was a real person or not. Well done.

dankearl
09-30-2013, 01:59 AM
This creeps me out...
Very well done.

Diane Miller
09-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks! It's quite amazing to explore the intersection of creepy and revealing. Someone (whom I should remember but don't) characterized photography as revealing and concealing.