PDA

View Full Version : Agawa River Sunrise #2

Andrew McLachlan
09-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Here is another take on the previously posted sunrise over the Agawa River in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park.

Nikon D800
Nikon 24-85mm lens @ 72mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 0.8 sec
Mirror-up
Singh Ray 2-stop Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Look forward to comments.

Don Nelson
09-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Andrew
Interesting composition and color.
I suspect you masked the foreground and darkened the sky?
To my eye it appears there are bright highlights peeking through the trees. At first I thought perhaps sharpening artifacts, but they were not consistent -- so I think that it might be that the masking wasn't refined in those areas, or that somehow the sky is a lot brighter through the openings in the trees. Or are these some weird artifact of shrinking to the little tiny JPG or the posting software on this site???
your thoughts?

Don Nelson
09-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Another tip off on the sky darkening -- almost always the water reflection is a stop or 1.5 stop darker than the sky,.....

Don Railton
09-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Hi Andrew, Tell Don there were firefly's behind the trees..:t3

I prefer this comp over the previous, I think its because of the larger section of river bed in the foreground. I also like that you have captured the mist lifting and that there is a hint of detail in the trees.... Beautiful spot, I can see myself fly fishing there (i wish).

DON

gail bisson
09-26-2013, 04:25 PM
I am no expert in landscapes but I can certainly tell you what I like!This is a very dramatic and powerful image.
Very dramatic colors and I like the lines created by the rocks in the foreground.
I find it neat that the patterns in the rocks mimic the pattern in the clouds.
I wish I could see a bit more detail in the trees on the left.
What is a neutral density filter? What does it do?
Why not do bracketed exposures and blend the 3 images?
Thanks for your time in explaining,
Gail

dankearl
09-26-2013, 09:42 PM
I am a fan of amping up colors, but I would probably tone down the sky a bit.
I alos like this comp better than the first.

Andrew McLachlan
09-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks folks for the comments....much appreciated.

Dan...the sky was quite intense on this morning...probably the most intense sunrise I have ever seen...will look into toning down slightly.

Gail...a down and dirty description of a graduated neutral density filter: it is essentially a rectangular piece of resin that is half dark and half clear (the dark will transition/fade to clear) and the darkened section of the filter can be placed over the brightest area of the scene to basically compress the contrast within a scene. Yes I could have captured 3 images and blended them, but the grad filter can, most of the time, capture it in one take which saves me time at the computer...not too mention I am too lazy to blend :S3:

Don...you are absolutely correct that the water reflections are always darker than the sky...thanks for noticing this as I missed it...in hindsight I perhaps should have used my 1-stop grad instead. I will darken up the water a little bit. As for the brighter areas you are seeing I have no clue...the RAW file and optimized version do not have them.

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Andrew, looks like a nice sunrise. Overall the image is a bit "purple/magenta" for me - don't the Singh-Ray filters have known colour cast problems or have I got the rabbit by the tail here?

I would prefer more detail in the FG and midground (as with your most recent image).

I see what Don's referring to - if you use luminosity masks it should avoid getting those (if it's an artifact of selective sky adjustment to begin with).