PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Image of the Week for the week ending Aug. 9th, 2013: Edward Selfe - One the run

Daniel Cadieux
09-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Congratulations Ed!

This was a very unusual situation which we watched over a couple of hours. A hyaena was harassing this young male leopard who was walking around under a small tree. He'd stashed an antelope carcass in the tree but the hyaena's presence was making him nervous and he didn't want to feed. But instead of waiting for the hyaena to move off, he eventually decided to climb the tree, collect the carcass and then make a dash for some nearby thickets. We watched most of the action through binos as it was too far for cameras, but when he started to run across the plain, I shifted the vehicle and managed to get parallel with him before he crossed in front. I took about 6 shots, but this was the best I think.

1D4, 500mm f4, ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/3200 sec

Sharpening, minor blurring of grasses in near background and 75% crop from original. For some reason, this doesn't look as sharp as original on computer.

Comments welcome. Thanks!

Ed

gail bisson
09-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Congrtas! A terrific image.

Steve Kaluski
09-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Well done Ed, you are certainly pulling them out of the bag, cracking image, well done. :cheers:

Loi Nguyen
09-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Edward, congrats for IOTW. Well done. Loi

Don Lacy
09-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Congrats Ed on a fine image.