PDA

View Full Version : Question for Marina

David Smith
09-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Marina....

Do you have any idea when the Fall Migration will start showing up at Fort DeSoto Park.. I'm thinking that it was in early October, but I'm not sure./.

Thanks

Dave Smioth
Bradenton

Marina Scarr
09-22-2013, 08:26 PM
I anticipate it'll be starting momentarily. I'll keep a watch and let you know when it's in full swing.

Marina Scarr
09-22-2013, 08:55 PM
PS: If you go to this site, you can find a lot of information out about migration when it happens. He usually updates the site once a week.

http://www.pinellasbirds.com/

David Smith
09-23-2013, 12:20 PM
I anticipate it'll be starting momentarily. I'll keep a watch and let you know when it's in full swing.

Thanks Marina...Appreciate it..

Dave

Marina Scarr
09-24-2013, 09:23 AM
These were seen and/or photographed at Leffis Key yesterday.

Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow Warblers (4 or 5)
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warblers (2)
Prarie Warblers (4)
Black & White Warblers (6)
Worm-eating Warbler
Ovenbird
Red-Eyed Vireo

Plus the usual suspects ...

Belted Kingfishers (2)
Downy Woodpecker
Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Magnificent Frigate Birds with puffed out red pouches

David Smith
09-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Dang Marina.... That is in my own backyard.. Leffis Key is only 6 miles from my house.. As soon as this weather clears, I will have to get out there...

Dave

Marina Scarr
09-27-2013, 07:30 AM
There were 16 species of warbler yesterday at Sawgrass Lake Park in St. Pete. It would appear as though migration is here.

David Smith
09-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Marina...

Thanks for the update....

Dave

Marina Scarr
10-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Update:

There were a few migrants around Fort De Soto Park today. Peregrine Falcon and a Northern Flicker were seen. Flickers do not breed in the park and are only occasionally reported there as a spring or fall migrant – more often in the spring. By noon birders had seen a dozen species of warblers, a couple of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Indigo Buntings, Summer and Scarlet Tanagers and also 8-9 Yellow-billed Cuckoos. Most of these bird were in the East Beach Picnic Area and the East Beach Woods.

The picnic area was quiet but a walk along the privet trail produced a male Golden-winged Warbler, several Magnolia Warblers, a late Swainson’s Warbler, a somewhat early Yellow-rumped Warbler and more redstarts than any of the others. In all, 14 species of warblers in the woods today.

Marina Scarr
10-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Update:

There were a few migrants around Fort De Soto Park today. Peregrine Falcon and a Northern Flicker were seen. Flickers do not breed in the park and are only occasionally reported there as a spring or fall migrant – more often in the spring. By noon birders had seen a dozen species of warblers, a couple of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Indigo Buntings, Summer and Scarlet Tanagers and also 8-9 Yellow-billed Cuckoos. Most of these bird were in the East Beach Picnic Area and the East Beach Woods.

The picnic area was quiet but a walk along the privet trail produced a male Golden-winged Warbler, several Magnolia Warblers, a late Swainson’s Warbler, a somewhat early Yellow-rumped Warbler and more redstarts than any of the others. In all, 14 species of warblers in the woods today.