PDA

View Full Version : Something Fishy About This Green Heron.

Daniel Cadieux
09-22-2013, 02:22 PM
A species not normally super cooperative around here, but one has been way more than accommodating recently...often approaching to inside of minimum focussing distance. Here's one when it got a bit close AND had a nice catch to show off for me. It was raining at the time, with the white spots on the heron being raindrops.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 14.TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld with lens resting on a knee, a scraggly white juvie feather strand patched out (I would have kept it in if there were more than just one), about 75% FF, the right half of the fish was blown so I added detail with a 40% clone from areas to the left.

Karl Egressy
09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Super details and sharpness, Daniel.
Great eye contact with the bird and the fish.
The background looks good showing a little hint of the habitat.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Wow Daniel,

Even in FL I had a hard time getting within MFD of these guys. I don't know how you do it, but you even managed to get the fish with a nice head angle!

The detail throughout is great, and the green heron really pops against that background.

Miguel

Miguel

Sandy Witvoet
09-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Beautiful detail, especially the eye, bill and fish (although the fish doesn't look too pleased about it!):w3 Like the reeds on the lower right and lovely BG.

Diane Miller
09-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Wonderful image and great cosmetic surgery on the fish! The bits of grass are the grace note.

Tony Whitehead
09-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Great details, Dan. Great with the catch and I really like the discernible grasses to provide some depth and indication of the habitat. You've always done amazing work with your 100-400 but the 500 adds another dimension.

Stu Bowie
09-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi Dan, stunning detail and colours throughout. My eyes keep wondering all over the image where to look next. Good view of his catch, and with an open mouth.

mohammad reza shahab
09-26-2013, 03:28 PM
hi Daniel,
Great details,colours,BG and Great eye contact.