PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah !

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-21-2013, 09:23 AM
<tbody>
Camera
Canon EOS 7D (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/)

Exposure
(1/400)

Aperture
f/7.1

Focal Length
700 mm

ISO Speed

Exposure Bias
+1/3 EV

</tbody>
From the Safari Vehicle, 7D and 500+1.4 X on a bean bag. The guy was far and I was not getting the reach with the 5D3 so changed cams and shot with the 7D.

hennieloots
09-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi Sanjeev - Good sighting in nice habitat. I like the details visible on the subject and the blood adds to the story. I am not convinced on the comp, maybe more space at the bottom for the feet or move the cheetah more towards the LHC - just my feeling. Still a great sighting and well done the get the image with the subject so far off.
TFS
Hennie

Steve Kaluski
09-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi Sanjeev, I too like the habitat/environment, illustrates well how the cheetah can blend in so well with it's surroundings. Considering how much energy this animal uses in taking down it's prey and then quite often for it to be chased away by either lion or hyena, you have to feel sorry for it. :S3:

Good call on swopping camera bodies, plus the techs look good, obviously fighting the light based on the ISO. To me, overall it looks a little light in the habitat, either adjusting the exposure or Double processing I feel will bring out more detail & depth you have initially captured, but masking the Cheetah. However, saying that I would open the Blacks up on the nose, and again, just adjust the eyes a fraction. The blood stained chin is a nice addition and adds to the overall content. If the IQ allows I would crop in a bit tighter, for me its just a little lost in the 'sea' of grass. I hope time allowed for you to also swop to a portrait format on this too?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Sanjeev - nice sighting and good call on changing camera bodies. One of the reasons it's always good to have a second body/back-up with you. The blood on the face certainly adds to the story. I wish the grass wasn't going right across the face but that's so often the way it is in the high grasses. I agree that if IQ will stand up, a crop of some off the sides would be great. Steve has covered the pp suggestions.

TFS,
Rachel

Markus Jais
09-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Wonderful Cheetah shot with a great composition. I like it how the color of the cat matches the color of the grass.
I would not crop anything here, the composition works for me exactly as presented.

Markus

edwardselfe
09-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Hi - I had a very quick go at PP on your JPEG. Hope you don't mind. Just aimed to give more colour depth and some more contrast with grasses.
Also cropped to pano - seemed like a good option to focus attention on cheetah.

Dropped exposure a little (-0.4)
Pushed highlights a little to give more life
Small boost to contrast
Lifted shadows to give detail in eyes/mouth
Dropped contrast and brushed in sharpness to face

Has become a bit crunchy on the chest but sure that's to do with me processing a jpeg. Should be fine in RAW.

Good luck.

Ed