PDA

View Full Version : European swallows interacting

hennieloots
09-21-2013, 05:49 AM
Hi folks. Took this image at a nearby bird sanctuary at close range. I am not sure about the comp in 16:9, as well the pose with the back of the front bird to me. I did like the interaction and the open beak and the eyes on both guys visible; I Look forward to your opinions and advice.

Techs: Canon 1D-X | Canon EF 600mm F4 IS USM ii– 1/1000 @ F/7.1 & ISO: 1250 |EB: +1/3EV | On Gimbal head on tripod from hide |
PP:
Crop – 90% of original
LR – Contrast added, Increased expo with +.33, Sharpened, Vibrance, Clarity
PS6 – Canvass added to the LHS, LM to reduce highlights, Selective color, Hue/sats, Selective sharpening, Selective dodge & burn to birds.

All comments and critique always welcome and appreciated!
Regards
Hennie

Randy Stout
09-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Hennie:

I like the interaction, colors, exposure. I don't think the large amount of space on left adds much, too much neg. space for my tastes.

Normally I wouldn't expect this combination with the closer bird's back to us would work well, but because the head is sharp enough, and you can clearly see the back bird, I find it effective.

The open mouth of the back bird acts as a nice focal point for the image.

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
09-21-2013, 06:00 AM
Hi Hennie,
The light and superb BG are really great.
I think I would crop from the left but keep the pano feel.
I think the interaction depicted is great and the heads are both sharp so image works.
I wish for less motion blur on the near wing,
Gail

Karl Egressy
09-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Nice interaction captured in good light.

Satish Ranadive
09-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Superb image. Very nice interaction you have captured. Beautiful colors.Love the open beak.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
09-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi Hennie, lovely interaction between the two swallows, and great that we can see the eye of the near swallow. The open beak adds to the interaction. I do love the colour of the BG.

I recognise the perch - Marievale??:w3 Ive always known these guys as White throated Swallows, so am wondering on your title.

hennieloots
09-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Thank you to all for the kind comments.

Randy & Gail - Thank you for the advice, I will play some more with the comp.

Stuart - Marievale is 100% correct, sir. I will recheck the species in my books and get back to you on that, thanks for pointing it out.
Hennie

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Very cool interaction, great light, awesome BG. Well done.

Melissa Groo
09-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Super behavior and interaction captured here, Hennie. Gorgeous light and background. Great job getting both sharp. I like the motion blur of the wings. I like the pano crop but would move them a bit to the left.

Marina Scarr
09-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Killer action captured here. Love the colors and details. The dead space on the left tends to make the eye wonder in that direction.

Richard Flack
09-22-2013, 03:01 AM
Nice image and interaction Hennie! Thanks for sharing. (IMO Stuart is correct in his ID)

christopher galeski
09-22-2013, 04:32 AM
nice capture,love the light and BG,great interaction,would crop some of the space on the left.TFS.

hennieloots
09-22-2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks to all for looking and the kind comments.
Stuart, Richard - I rechecked the ID on this bird and Stuart is correct, this is a White-throated swallow.
Apologies to all for my mistake.
Hennie

Markus Jais
09-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Beautiful shot with great colors in the background. I like the wing pose of the flying bird and the motion blur. The open bill of the perched bird is great as it draws the eye's attention to it.

Markus

Bill Dix
09-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Great interaction, sharpness, light. This is a case where seeing the back of the bird works just fine; the open beak is the focus and explains it all, and the right hand bird's eye is showing. Yes to a little off the left.

adrian dancy
09-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Excellent colour and interaction. A little over sharpened perhaps. Stuart is correct with ID IMHO.

BenBotha
09-23-2013, 04:37 AM
Hennie, I agree with the comments. The light really makes it special. Ben