PDA

View Full Version : Moonrise over Long Island

gail bisson
09-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I have never posted in Landscapes before so here goes!
Everything I did here is opposite to what landscapes photogs do but I still like it.
Canon 1DX
F 600mm and 1.4X
ISO 1600
SS 1/200 F 5.6 and handheld! As you can tell I was taking pics of shorebirds and then this beautiful moon came up and all my other gear was in the car 1/2 mile away.
PP: Slight crop, did the usual "bird" PP ie. reduced noise in the sky, slight adjustments to levels, selected the sky and increased saturation by 15 in photoshop, DE on the moon at 8% and then sharpened the JPEG.
Feel free to throw eggs at this! I am tough!!:bg3:
As landscape photogs how would you have taken this shot? What lens? What ISO and F value with and without tripod. Remember I was handholding.
All comments and critiques are learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

dankearl
09-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Nice, Gail
and there are no rules in landscape. I like tele landscapes, hard to do, takes nice air quality which you had.
Colors are very nice, I might add some contrast to the moon.

Diane Miller
09-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Gail, great that you got the colors! I shoot moons at 1200 mm, just for more pixels on the subject, f/11 or less, ISO 100, usually about 1/200 sec, and a REALLY steady tripod, mirror lockup, remote release and all that, but not with the car and tripod 1/2 mi away. For handheld, this is awesome! Isn't that a nice lens!?

Great detail and tonalities.

Don Railton
09-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi Gail .. Pretty impressive for HH 840mm at 1/200 second..! I like the colour inclusion.

DON

Marc Mol
09-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Superb work here Gail, a fine opportunistic image, the pink sunset colour in the bands of cloud really make this for me.
I would have taken this image pretty much the same way as you did, only thing I may have changed would have been to up the ISO another notch to 3200 for extra SS(not knowing ISO qualities on the 1DX?), just for insurance but then only after you tried @ 1600.:w3

Andrew McLachlan
09-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi Gail, this is awesome and handheld too!!! Hope you will post more images over here soon :S3:

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi Gail - Very nice detail in the moon and excellent job hand-holding. I really like the pink stripes. I have to look up more often (I am often on LI). I think you should do more landscapes.

TFS,
Rachel

Roger Clark
09-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Gail,
This is a beautiful image. The colors on the clouds add a nice touch to make the image unique and not just a moon image. Usually the atmosphere is pretty turbulent for the moon this low in the sky, but you got a very sharp image of the moon. Well done.

Roger

Anette Mossbacher
09-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi Gail,

great image and HH, very well done. I assume you do push ups every morning.
Love the light and colors in this image, all just different than the usual shots.
Personally I would change nothing.
You asked how we would do. Well, I would be on my back and put the lens on my knees, always works somehow. Get lower ISO...etc, but 1600 ISO on the 1DX is just nothing what I have seen so far :w3
Than why not that way :bg3:

Great image

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2013, 04:05 AM
Lovely mood and hues here. I agree it needs a touch of contrast/oomph to the moon (but not too much)...
:cheers:

Rob T Smith
10-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Gail - love the simplicity of the comp, light and tones, all of which attract the eye to the image in the first place. Seems like the more one practices the luckier one gets? Best, Rob