PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck - a Different Look

Bill Dix
09-18-2013, 12:54 PM
I wish I had some of those great images of mature male wood ducks such as posted here by Melissa and others. I don't. Still, I thought this youngster was kind of cute. I only had a tiny opening through the foreground vegetation, giving me just a glimpse into the small pond where five young Woodies were swimming. I had to focus on the only visible spot on the pond and hope one of them would come into view. This young male cooperated. He is just beginning to show some features of a mature non-breeding male.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 800, 1/4000s @ f/7.1 manual (I must have inadvertently rotated the dial when aligning the tripod with my viewing window; I didn't need that SS.)

Karl Egressy
09-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Nice image of a young male, Bill. The light looks a little harsh but you coped well with it.

Arthur Morris
09-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Yes, good job with the relatively harsh light. I am a bit confused by the light angle but it too looks less than ideal. But you handled it well.

Stu Bowie
09-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Hi Bill, cool HA from the little guy, and I like the hint of colour coming through on the wings.

LinzRiverBalmer
09-20-2013, 06:08 AM
The eye takes it for me, just beautiful and I like the grainy texture the water scum gives, bad word but the green floaters.

love the BG, except for the one leaf grass piece that is diagonal vertical, the only skinny piece, kind of runs from a 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock position.

Bill Dix
09-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks everyone.