PDA

View Full Version : An Arctic Stroll

Rachel Hollander
09-18-2013, 06:27 AM
It seemed like this polar bear was trying to keep her feet dry as she walked across the pack ice.

Canon 5D3
300 II plus 2x III
1/1600
f5.6
ISO 800
Monopod from boat, cropped for comp and straightened, luminosity mask, levels, curves, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Hi Rachel, you did well to get as low as you did, it always makes a difference.

I think you can still go another 2 degrees rotation, this is based more visual that tech. The colours look good and that blue/green aqua just brings home the cold, however I think you can selectively drop the magenta, but optional. A hint more on the left perhaps, although not a deal breaker. FP looks more on the body than the head, but could b wrong, or did you have all FP highlighted? Like the arched stretch over the water and the way the last foot illustrated the lovely dense fur they have. Looks like the tongue is just visible? Personally I might have flipped it. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

BTW Anette on leaving suggested I hire the Stockholm, could we make the numbers? Andy R was there the day she left but don't think see saw him.

Rachel Hollander
09-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Hi Steve - Thanks, I'll take a look at the magenta and rotation. FP is on bottom of jaw. Sadly no more room on the left. Hmm, interesting idea about the Stockholm.

Thanks again and welcome back,
Rachel

Martin Dunn
09-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Neat image Rachel.
Amazing to see so many varying shades of what we would all normally refer to as white.
Love the turquoise water/ice in the foreground, it makes the PB look nice and warm.
For me the standout thing is the calmness of the PB as he(she?) steps from one tiny bit of ice to another. Must have his (her?) weight incredibly well balanced. PB looks dry so I guess he hasn't fallen in yet.

As you've probably gathered, I'm more interested in visual than technical. Couldn't possibly compete with Steve on that score.

Markus Jais
09-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Great shot. I like the movement pose.

Markus

Jamie Douglas
09-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Hi Rachel, cracking sighting and very impressed by the IQ from the 300 and 2x combo with the addition of skill from the photographer. You can almost feel a chill looking at this and the fur texture is very sharp.

Jamie

Morkel Erasmus
09-19-2013, 04:44 AM
The pose and setting is lovely here, Rachel, as is the exposure control. Love how the blues come out of the ice there.
Good call by Steven on a hint more rotation, but not a biggie for me.

Andreas Liedmann
09-19-2013, 06:21 AM
Hi rachel
all is there!!!
Like this one .
Minor issues are the rotation and the missing space on LHS:

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Thanks all, much appreciated.

Rachel

Marc Mol
09-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Love the lifted front paw and tippy-toe rear leg also Rachel, great turquoise colour in the ice here as well.
TFS

Steve Canuel
09-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Another beauty Rachel. Love the colors of the ice in this one and nice detail in the bear as well.