PDA

View Full Version : Personal space

Jason Stander
09-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Hi all... sorry that I have not posted in a while... hope that you are well?

Here in South Africa... it is finally spring... with it comes rain... and heat... and then with it all abundant insect life.

This is an up close and personal with a beautiful jumper.

I have decided to photograph with my 5D Mk III... and I am enjoying the more natural colours and detail presented from this machine as to that of the 60D... used a different diffusing material for my tent (waxing paper from a beauty salon)

Canon 5D Mk III
Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8
Canon MT-24EX Macro twinlite (diffused)

Aperture: f14
Mag: x3
Shutter speed: 1/40s
Metering: Spot
Handheld

Crits and comments welcome... ENJOY!:w3

Jonathan Ashton
09-18-2013, 04:31 AM
Super detail and amazing colours. Looks like you supplied him with some "eye lashes" from that beauty salon Jason:w3
The image looks great as presented, I made a very soft quick mask of the upper yellow background and made a curves layer, I then pulled down the highlights a little bit. I think this helps concentrate attention on the spider - WDYT??

Mitch Haimov
09-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Super work, Jason. You nailed the comp--abdomen isn't cut, plenty of space in front of the jumper. Great job getting eyes, mandibles, front legs sharp!

Steve Maxson
09-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi Jason. This is quite the portrait shot of this little jumper! You did a great job of getting the key elements (eyes and pedipalps) tack sharp - a challenge at 3X. I like the mix of orange/yellow colors and that we can see the mandibles. On my monitor, a lot of the white spots on the spider look a bit "bright." Having not seen this spider in the flesh, I don't know if they are really this white or if they received a little too much light from the flash? In either case, this is an outstanding image.

Nancy Bell
09-20-2013, 04:13 PM
No need to create space aliens when we have things like this around:bg3:! Even that bright orange color is other-worldly. Fantastic details of the eyes and those delicate hairs.

Jason Stander
09-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Thank you for all the comments and views. Thank you good advice and tips:w3 Steve those whites were as is and on my monitors and pad... they looked fine.

OvidiuCavasdan
09-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Well composed, I esp like the details on the eyes and very nice colour overall. Great job with the MP-E. Very well done.

Jason Stander
09-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Thank you Ovidiu!:cheers: