PDA

View Full Version : Common Poorwill drinking

Rick Bowers
09-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Common Poorwill (Phalaenoptilus nuttallii) - Amado, Santa Cruz County, Arizona, USA - August

Common Poorwill is widespread in various open habitats throughout the western half of North American including northern Mexico. Mostly a gray and black bird, this flight shot shows the tan flight feather well.

1DIII, 28-135, 1/250 sec; f/10; ISO 400, four flashes, Phototrap

Photographed at Bill Forbes' Pond at Elephant Head while shooting bats.

Grace Scalzo
09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Very unique pose and behavior. I am only wishing that I could see the face better .

Martin Dunn
09-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Great pose and a nice reflection but - on my monitor at least - the colours are very glary (is that a word?) and it is hard to pick out detail on the bird.

Daniel Cadieux
09-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Unique picture of this species! Quite sharp too with the action frozen by the flashes. If this is full-frame I'd consider cropping tighter for a better look at the subject, and I do feel that the WB is a bit yellowish-green (an easy fix)

Marina Scarr
09-20-2013, 06:11 PM
This is really an impressive image, and I have a feeling it wasn't an easy capture. While I am not familiar with this bird, I do agree with DAn on the color cast. I do wish I could see more of the bird's head and a tighter crop might help with that issue if you have the pixels. Regardless, you should be proud of this one.

Dan Brown
09-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Awesome work, Rick! You are really nailing the goatsuckers!