PDA

View Full Version : American Avocets - The opposite of Melissa's

David Salem
09-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Looks like Melissa and I have a good year getting some unique Avocet shots. I mentioned this aggressive shot to her on the last Avocet post I/we made, and after seeing her beautiful shot of the pre-mating ritual, I thought it would be an appropriate time to post this shot of these males fighting over the right to mate.
This larger dominant male was very aggressive and beat up most of the males in the group. In this shot, he has this poor guy by the neck and he lost a sizable chunk of feathers when it was over.

1DMkIV---700mm---f6.3---ss1/3200---ISO500---HH@4:30pm---25%crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

David

Jim Crosswell
09-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Great behaviour image David! The flying water drops and bubble which show that there is action which you froze skilfully. I like the tight pano crop and colour scheme.

Melissa Groo
09-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Your title totally cracked me up, David. How cool to see this kind of action so close up. I tried to photograph some fast competitive action but couldn't get it well enough. Great exposure, sharpness, detail. Love the water droplets. Just wish for a bit more room on the bottom.

Karl Egressy
09-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Great interaction image, David. It is nice that the water has some of the colors of the birds. Excellent sharpness and details.

Grace Scalzo
09-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Just fantastic, superb interaction. It is very clear from your photo who the dominant one is! The colors are gorgous.

David Salem
09-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, I appreciate it.
I forgot to mention that the color in the BG water is the reflection of the onlookers :)

yogesh_puranik
09-18-2013, 12:22 AM
wow superb behavior sir. Nice sharp image.
It was very nice experience with you on Saturday. Learnt lot of new things.
Pls post some photos from our outing.

arash_hazeghi
09-18-2013, 01:06 AM
sweet Dave, love the interaction and peak breeding colors

agree with more room on the btm for virtual feet!

Stu Bowie
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi David, very well timed to have captured this - sometimes one snoozes, and you miss that split second action that doesnt happen again whilst you are there. Great view of the bill around the neck, and the colours look spot on. I also like the splashes of gold in the surrounding water.

Daniel Cadieux
09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
I love the feathers being clutched in the male's bill! I like the perspective, looks like front seats to the action. I almost get the feeling the image needs a bit of ccw rotation?

David Salem
09-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.