PDA

View Full Version : Harvestman - from Belize

Steve Maxson
09-17-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm getting ready to head to another macro workshop in Belize so I thought I'd post a shot or two from previous trips before I leave. This is an unusual-shaped Harvestman (Order Opiliones) (also called Daddy-longlegs here in the US). They prey on insects and other arthropods, but are not venomous. This was shot in a lightbox setup. 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, 2 remotely fired flashes, hand held. I cleaned up some tiny bits of debris on the leaf. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

shane shacaluga
09-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Great looking opilione. Love the soft light. Good detail on the subject and contrast with the green leaf.

Do you have a picture of how you setup the box and flashes?

Steve Maxson
09-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Great looking opilione. Love the soft light. Good detail on the subject and contrast with the green leaf.

Do you have a picture of how you setup the box and flashes?

Thanks Shane. I have described my setup and provided a link to a photo in one of my replies to my 13 Sept. Hangingfly post. :S3: Turns out it's a pretty simple setup.

Mitch Haimov
09-17-2013, 08:33 PM
You aren't kidding about "unusual-shaped;" I never would have guessed that that is a harvestman! Certainly an interesting subject. The mandibles look enormous. Bottom of the frame seems a little tight to me, and I'm wondering how this one would look with the sharpening confined to the subject (both fairly minor points). The leaf doesn't appear over sharpened, but the fine detail in it's texture does draw my eye.

Mitch Haimov
09-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Oops--I meant to ask if you are the leader/co-leader of these Belize workshops.

OvidiuCavasdan
09-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Cool looking creature, sharp and good details. Good job with the lightbox setup and the leaf.

Jonathan Ashton
09-18-2013, 03:52 AM
Steve I love this set up, absolutely wonderful details and the lighting is just about perfectomondo!

Jason Stander
09-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Excellent Steve... wonderful details and exposure and what a unique looking critter... great sighting... WD!:w3

Steve Maxson
09-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Oops--I meant to ask if you are the leader/co-leader of these Belize workshops.

Mitch: The workshop - BugShot Belize - is being led by 4 excellent macro photographers (Alex Wild, John Abbott, Piotr Neskrecki, and Thomas Shahan). I get to relax, take photos, and learn a few new tricks (and maybe teach the group how I do my aquatic photos). My daughter will also be attending so I'll be able to work with her on some of the techniques. :S3:

Mitch Haimov
09-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Have a great time, Steve! I'm looking forward to see some of the images you bring back.