PDA

View Full Version : Magical....

dankearl
09-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Proxy Falls in the Oregon Cascades.
It makes most top ten lists of waterfalls in North America and some think one of the best in the world.
Photographed by about everyone, but one can get a hundred different views. It sits in an old growth
volcanic forest and you can literally spend hours here. A lot of mist, it feels like you are in hobbit land...
This is a side view of the lower portion of the falls. It is big, 260 ft. drop of dripping gently falling water and mist.

1 sec., f22, iso200, 18mm (nikon 16-35 f4), D800

DSC_7957bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132626&stc=1&d=1379390760)

Don Nelson
09-17-2013, 12:28 AM
One of my favorite falls.....
Hey, Dan, you've used an 18mm lens on a full frame camera. And pointed the lens upwards to get more of the falls. This has the effect of keystoning the falls -- and its really noticable by the way that the water falls radially, rather than by gravity downwards. Definitely a tilt-shift lens would do you well in this case, or a view camera (but that means film, or a scanning back....).
However, Photoshop can come to your rescue through persepective control (its under edit->transform. In this case, I had to do a little content aware fill at the lower left and right corners -- admittedly you can do better with a full pixel TIF rather than the little jpg we are permitted to post, so you could do better than this simple example. What I am trying to show with this repost is the effect of perspective control allowing the water in all parts of the falls to do a natural vertical drop (and yes, I changed the contrast and a little color control including blue/cyan removal from parts of the falls.)

I think you have a great capture to work with here -- not sure what Dxo could do to help, but this is what might be possible in photoshop (which I recommend that you do acquire...)
Best regards
Don

Don Nelson
09-17-2013, 12:32 AM
And after posting, I think a little more room on the right side needs to be kept....

dankearl
09-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Don,
Thanks, quite the difference and very noticeable.
Yeah, I know, photoshop is on the way.....

Diane Miller
09-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Magical it is! Perfect amount of water flow and shutter speed.

Wide-angle perspective control in PS (or LR / ACR) is quite amazing. But you need to allow some extra room on the sides -- more than you think you'll need.

Andrew McLachlan
09-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi Dan, it is a lovely waterfall and Don's perspective adjustment does help the comp. Nice one!

Markus Jais
09-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Fantastic shot with great colors. I like the composition and the fact that there is so much waterfall in the image. Great use of shutter speed.

Markus

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi Dan - for me, this is your best waterfall shot in terms of exposure. Some of Don's whites seem a little brighter but the perspective fix he has done is the right way to go and so is removing the blue/cyan cast coming through in places though I still see a slight cast in the lower left of the falls in Don's rp. Definitely one worth working on.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2013, 04:12 AM
Another lovely falls-scape Dan...and Don's advice is spot-on. Good to hear that PS is on its way :5
I like the soft feel and tonal range of your OP...add the perspective control and Bob's your uncle for my tastes.