PDA

View Full Version : Olive Sunbird

Richard Flack
09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Olive Sunbird - Cyanomitra olivacea

Another stunning sunbird from the banks of the Umngazi River. This species was also incredibly vocal during our stay and was clearly the arch enemy of the previously posted grey sunbird. They were the source of much photographic entertainment as they battled over the best Strelitzia outposts.
My highlight was watching (for the first time) the male of this species display its very striking, bright yellow pectoral tufts. Pretty awesome (but a pity my photograph was a bit blurry)!

Date taken: 12 September 2013
Photo details:
Canon EOS 7D
400mm f2.8
ISO 640
Shutter speed 1/400
F-stop 4
Exposure bias 0

Melissa Groo
09-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Such a stunning bird you've captured very well, Richard. Super detail and IQ, and I love the perch, and the way the colors go together and are echoed in the background. I wish the tail were more in focus but maybe you didn't have enough light to push it. Thanks for sharing.

gail bisson
09-16-2013, 05:52 PM
The IQ on the bird is excellent and I love the eye. The BG is much better than the last image.
Great perch. The bird isn't blurry- you just needed more DOF but the light level didn't allow you to go smaller.
As a matter of personal taste I wouldn't mind a slightly looser crop,
Gail

Karl Egressy
09-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Great looking bird, nice details and sharpness where it counts. I would tone down the bright spots in the background.

Richard Flack
09-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks so much Melissa, Gail and Karl. I agree with a looser crop. Was actually playing with one and then went with showing off the IQ :). (Here is an example). I did little to change the image apart from blurring the background slightly and increasing the vibrancy (but when I have chance will have a look at toning the BG down, thanks Karl).

Satish Ranadive
09-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Superb image of beautiful sun bird. Nice pose, colors,details,perch and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

hennieloots
09-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi Richard - Beautiful image with great IQ and details. Techs all covered.
TFS
Hennie