PDA

View Full Version : Natural History.

dankearl
09-15-2013, 09:20 PM
This is the Belknap volcanic crater in the Sisters Wilderness, Central Oregon Cascade Range.
The peak is Mt. Washington, a shield volcano from the Pleistocene era.
It is surrounded by a 100,000 acre forest fire that devastated the Santium forest in 2003.
The volcanic field in the middle (the Belknap crater) is a recent very large (20 sq. mile?) volcanic flow from about 3000 years ago.
I am standing on an "island" in the lava flow.

1/80, 16mm, iso200, f11, D800, Polarizer filter, Handheld.

DSC_7840bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132587&stc=1&d=1379297973)

Morkel Erasmus
09-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the interesting info here Dan.
Sorry for only getting to it now - busy week and heading to the Masai Mara next week. :e3
I like the sky and the distant peak, but can't help but feel you could have composed this differently in the FG for more impact? As posted it's not really floating my boat...sorry about that. :bugeyed:
The converging diagonals in the foreground are actually nice, but I think it's the (burnt?) midground that's causing my eye to stop exploring. Hope it makes sense.

Andrew McLachlan
09-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi Dan, love the history to this image. It is always nice to know what we are looking at. For me I think it may be a little flat on the lighting. Looks like the foreground was shaded by the sun going behind a bit of a cloud. Perhaps adding a bit of contrast would help...do you have any other versions where the foreground may have had a bit more sunlight on it?

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi Dan - interesting history to the area and it explains the barren area. I would have preferred if you could have included the entire edge of the rectangular rock in the middle bottom. I like the sky but feel that the rest of the image can use a bit more punch and sharpening but also the line/halo where the sky meets the distant hills is rather strong. If it were mine I might consider a crop from the left to use the path on the right more as a leading line into the image.

TFS,
Rachel