PDA

View Full Version : Posing Pelican

Miguel Palaviccini
09-15-2013, 08:54 PM
I'd lived in Florida for most of my life, and I don't think I ever fully appreciated the Pelicans. Such a gorgeous bird, especially in their breeding plumage. This guy just sat there and stared back while I took his portrait. For the shot, I was down on my belly with my home made skimmer pod (frisbee + aluminum plate).

Cropped just a little from the top and right, thinking about adding a tad to the bottom.

Shooting Info:
Nikon D800 | 500 f/4 VR
1/2500" | f/5.6 | ISO 400

Greg Oakley
09-16-2013, 01:41 AM
Very very nice Miguel - terrific pose and light. Details and IQ are also excellent and the BG is fab!

Satish Ranadive
09-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Miguel,
Wonderful image. Love the pose, nice colors,Great IQ, beautiful BG and composition. If you are thinking to add silver line at the bottom, that will look superb.
Have you thought of vertical with more room at the bottom?

Regards,
Satish.

Shawn Zierman
09-16-2013, 08:32 AM
What a stark but very nicely lit scape to photograph this pelican in. Could almost be the desert! Love the colors on the neck and head of this brown pelican. The head angle is perfectly parallel to the sensor. I agree with your own thoughts regarding having more space on the bottom of the frame. Also, at the time of capture, elevating your shooting angle a few inches and tipping the lens down to get a bit more fg in focus was worth exploring. Regardless, it's sharp, well lit, and visually appealing.

Daniel Cadieux
09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I think Shawn read my mind....so I will just agree with his critique :-) Lovely image, with an awesome BG.

Doug Brown
09-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Excellent critiques above. Love the pose and sharpness. The BG adds a lot to the image. I agree with the idea of adding a bit of canvas to the bottom of the frame. I might have gone with a bit more DOF and less SS in order to get the entire bird in focus.

Jonathan Ashton
09-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Absolutely superb love the colours pose and composition. I too have just made a skimmer pad - drilled a hole in a frying pan and bolted my Mongoose head to it - magic!

gail bisson
09-16-2013, 05:41 PM
This is really nice and unusual, Miguel.
I agree with you re: adding a bit more to the bottom. Excellent DOF on the entire pelican and you were at 5.6.
Love the BG,
Gail

Karl Egressy
09-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Great looking bird, very nice pose and excellent background, Miguel. The low shooting angle worked well here.

Frank Schauf
09-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Beautiful portrait, great details and sharpness.