PDA

View Full Version : Drakensberg Serenity

Morkel Erasmus
09-15-2013, 02:15 PM
I made some time to process another frame from our visit to the southern Drakensberg earlier this year.
I've shown a variety of views on this lake, here's another (hope it's not too similar, though the weather was different each day).

I love the quality and dynamic range of the D800 files. I used a single exposure here, where I normally would have blended 2 or 3 exposures. I pushed the exposure on the shadows up by at least a stop with NO increase in shadow noise prevalent.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f5.6 | 1/200 SS | ISO-64
Handheld standing on the dock

Diane Miller
09-15-2013, 04:35 PM
I love the soft blue colors and the mirror surface of the lake -- the dock is floating in space!

Did you process with ACR / LR, or one of the other converters?

Don Lacy
09-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Lots to like here Morkel the dock leading into the frame the shore in the mid ground and the mountain anchoring the back ground ad in the interesting sky and this image really comes together.

dankearl
09-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Morkel, you can push the D800 more than what you did and they still look fine.
This is the best image you have posted recently, super processing and a metallic cold sheen to this which I really like.

Markus Jais
09-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Awesome shot. I like the wonderful sky and the composition of the whole image.

Markus

Andrew McLachlan
09-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi Morkel, this is a great scene and worth shooting over and over with the varying weather conditions. So far this one would be my favorite :S3: Love the cloud reflections in the calm water too.

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks folks!! :5

I love the soft blue colors and the mirror surface of the lake -- the dock is floating in space!

Did you process with ACR / LR, or one of the other converters?

Diane, I use LR to begin with (RAW conversion), then to PS and if needed I plug in some Nik filters as well...