PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Juvi - hanging out on the stump

Randy Stout
09-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Although we have a fair number of summer time GBHs in Michigan, they are pretty spooky. I have never had any luck with getting good pictures of them here, unlike Florida where they will pick your pockets.

I was fortunate to see this juvi while on a loon outing. He was much more tolerant than the adults, and let me drift in fairly close.

I liked the stump he was on, and the clump of grass to the right.

D4 600VR f/6.3 1/1250s ISO 640 Pedestal mounted in Loonie Too.

Post: Leveled and cropped for comp . Added canvas top and bottom. Cleaned up a couple of water lily blossoms on frame edge. Cleaned up catchlight in eye

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
09-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Good sighting. May be a bit of contrast on the body would have worked even better. That's my view.

Daniel Cadieux
09-15-2013, 01:29 PM
I agree with you about the stump and the clump of grass...both very nice...as are the BG and subject itself. Exposure and details look very good. I could go for a tad more room at right, but I do like it as is.

The GBHs are very skittish here too...but luckily every year a local pond with heavy human traffic along its paths features one of these during late summer / early fall that is oh-so tame...needless to say it is a popular photographic subject among the local nature photographers!

Robert vanMierop
09-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Nice environment and I agree with the placement in the frame.

Joe Senzatimore
09-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Nice post processing job. Glad for the grass on the right as I feel it gives some balance to the image.

Bill Dix
09-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Good pose and light, low angle. Ditto re the grass on the right. We have a few BGHE on our local lake that are so tame I hardly ever bother pointing the lens their way. This will cause me to reconsider.

christopher galeski
09-16-2013, 02:10 AM
nice image Randy,nice pose and details,nice perch.

gail bisson
09-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Hi Randy,
Before I even read your comments on the OP I thought "what a nice stump and love how the clump of grass balances the shot".
I really like your POV on this guy and have the viewer looking up at the bird.
I would clone out the white smudge to the right of the heron's left leg as well as the white dot at the right hand side of the grass clump.
I like it as is but would love a smidge more on the RHS.
Very nice shot that us northerners will really appreciate because these herons are so darn skittish on this side of North America,
Gail

Satish Ranadive
09-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Randy Sir,
Excellent image, very nicely composed. Beautiful lights,colors,HA and low shooting angle.

Regards,
Satish.