PDA

View Full Version : Superior Bound

Andrew McLachlan
09-14-2013, 09:20 PM
I am heading out at the crack of dawn tomorrow for a trip up along Lake Superior and am planning on being gone for about a week. I thought I would share an image from my last trip a couple of years ago. This one is of Katherine Cove at sunset in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park.

Nikon D200
Nikon 12-24mm lens @ 14mm
ISO 200
f22 @ 8 seconds.

Look forward to comments.

Morkel Erasmus
09-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Nice tranquil scene here Andrew. I think some dodging of the highlights on the water would add some pop (the water overall is just a tad on the "murky" side for me?).
Looking forward to what you bring back this time around!
:5

Rachel Hollander
09-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi Andrew - gorgeous color palate on this one. Have a great trip and looking forward to your images.

TFS,
Rachel

Diane Miller
09-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Gorgeous wide-angle! I love the FG detail and the gorgeous sky.

I think it would be interesting to see what might come of pulling a little increased contrast out of the water, but it might be better to stay with the soft light that was there. I'd be tempted to play with the WB, too -- maybe jut on the water/rocks and leave the sky as is. Several interpretations are possible here, but nothing really wrong with the one presented.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Andrew,

Greetings. I particularly like the color with the subtle blue-orange (near green), yellow-purple contrast. The extension, closeness of the foreground is surprising to me (wa is not in my skill set), but like how it pulls me into the middle. I actually find the detail in the water surprising, as well, given the 8 second exposure. I haven't developed much of an eye for landscapes, but I like the feel of your image. Have a good trip.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Don Lacy
09-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Wonderful image Andrew nice use of foreground elements to lead the viewer into the image and absolutely gorgeous colors

dankearl
09-15-2013, 09:06 PM
The FG is terrific. I do think the water is the weakest part, the sky is also really nice.
I bit of a tweak (not sure what) of the water and this is about perfect.

Andrew McLachlan
09-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Much thanks folks, appreciate the comments.