PDA

View Full Version : hippo

Giovanni Frescura
09-14-2013, 02:27 PM
What you think ...could better in b/n ? Canon 1D mark IV + extender 2x f.0 iso 1600 1/2500

Morkel Erasmus
09-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Nice peek-a-boo moment Giovanni. Where was this?
Light looks like late morning? Already quite harsh but you didn't clip any shadows or highlights which is good.
If you want to go monochrome I would convert so that the greens/yellows in the reeds/foliage goes bright, and contrast that with a dark hippo.
Something like this (VERY quick version in Silver Efex)...

Loi Nguyen
09-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Giovani, very sharp and great details. I enjoy seeing the hair on the ears! My initial impression is the BG a bit too busy and Morkel fixed that with the conversion. Loi

Giovanni Frescura
09-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Hello Morkel
it was in Gonarezou (Zimbabwe).
Thr light isn't the best, for me, and for this reason I thinked the b/n...but which is your tip for the better ?

Jamie Douglas
09-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Nice and sharp considering a 2x was used but it looks a little over processed. The light wasn't on your side but like anyone of us here can appreciate - not all the elements come together at the right time in the field. B&W might be an option if you can balance the light between keeping detail in the Hippo and controlling the light around about.

You could look at creating a layer with a stop less exposure and then with a low opacity start masking through the details back into the Hippo and grass? Might be worth looking at?

Cheers

Jamie