PDA

View Full Version : Remnants of an old jetty

Don Lacy
09-14-2013, 12:56 AM
I drove about 8 hours round trip today to spend about an hour photographing on the West Coast of Florida this was my first time at this location and also my first trip with my new Canon 6D. I have not shot a full frame cameras since I put away my Eos 3 film camera years ago I had forgotten what I was missing :S3:

6D, 17-40 at 20mm, 5s at f/22 for one frame and 20s at f/22 for the other frame, Manual Mode, Evaluative metered, ISO 50, Tripod, two image blend one for the sky and one for the jetty( Not sure if I am ever going to use my grads again) Slight crop and usual PS and Nik processing

Don Railton
09-14-2013, 04:35 AM
Hi Don, Quite beautiful... Blending looks seamless and the comp compelling.. No Nits.. DON

Andrew McLachlan
09-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Hi Don, another lovely sunset set scene. I love the old jetty. It looks to me like it could use a slight counter clock-wise rotation. Beautiful work.

Morkel Erasmus
09-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Nice strong leading line composition here. I noticed the slant towards the RHS on the horizon immediately, but am wondering if it's real or just an optical illusion given the convergence of the jetty lines? Would need to pull into PS to check and I don't have time now...:e3

Good colour balance throughout and I like the balance of structure/smoothness on the water.

Rachel Hollander
09-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi Don - nicely done with beautiful pastel colors. I also immediately thought it needed some ccw rotation judging by the horizontals on the jetty before looking at the horizon. Overall, very well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Diane Miller
09-15-2013, 12:56 PM
You can see the horizon is off by scrolling the browser window. The horizontal beams in the jetty are at varying angles, which makes it hard to judge.

Excellent job of blending exposures! I've found that grad ND filters make great conversation pieces as coasters. I can't remember the last time I did an action shot where they were both necessary and sufficient.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Don,

Greetings. I like everything about this except the central clouds. Perhaps, it is just a taste thing but I think they should be softer. Seems like they are processed for detail to me. The balance in texture between the jetty & the water works well.

Diane, you kill me ;-).

Cheers,

-Michael-

Diane Miller
09-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Good point about the clouds -- the two largest, top center, might be lightened a little and reduced in contrast. The rest don't bother me, but I do like to push tonalities.

dankearl
09-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Congrats on the new camera, Full Frame is the only way to go.
I think this is really nice, the horizon mentioned, the colors are terrific and the texture of the wood and the FG rocks is perfect.