PDA

View Full Version : Martial Eagle at Masai Mara

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-12-2013, 10:52 PM
<tbody>
Camera
Canon EOS 5D Mark III (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_5d_mark_iii/)

Exposure
(1/800)

Aperture
f/5.6

Focal Length
700 mm

ISO Speed

Exposure Bias
+2 EV

</tbody>

LinzRiverBalmer
09-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Oh my making me want to travel.

what a beautiful bird, and I adore the perch, almost has a driftwood quality to it, exceptional textures.

i think the BG needs something, but will leave that to the pros here.

composition wise I think a little space could be taken off both right and left side

Martin Dunn
09-13-2013, 04:30 AM
A fine looking eagle.
I think the composition could be tweaked, there's quite a lot of empty space.
The background is very bright which (a) makes the image hard on the eye and (b) makes it more difficult to appreciate the colours and textures of the subject.

Stu Bowie
09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi Sanjeev, one of my favourite raptors, and I like the high key finish. Interesting looking perch, and if anything, I would take off the RHS.

Carl Walker
09-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi Sanjeev. Great sighting and image. I tend to agree with the others in terms of the background. It feels way too bright. The feet on this eagle are normally yellowish and it seems to be lost here. It might be an idea to rework this IMO. Just wondering was this a big crop? TFS

Bill Dix
09-13-2013, 12:16 PM
I rather like the high-key background and almost black-and-white feeling to this. And a fine pose. I would personally take a bit off the right and top. Personal preference.

Markus Jais
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
One of my favorite eagles - unfortunately declined in many places.
Wonderful shot, great composition. I like it as presented. The background works very well for me. Wonderful sharpness.

You might be interested in this interview I did a while ago with Alan Kemp about this species and it's ecology and conservation in Africa:
http://www.africanraptors.org/interview-with-alan-kemp-about-the-martial-eagle-in-southern-africa/

Markus

hennieloots
09-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi Sanjeev - Beautiful eagle in a great pose. The background unfortunately does not work for me. IMO the eagle is overwhelmed and it causes an almost "halo"effect on my screen. I do like the perch and the majestic subject.
TFS, regards.
Hennie

Rachel Hollander
09-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi Sanjeev - I like the effect of the dark eagle against the bright bg. I agree on cropping some from rhs and above.

TFS,
Rachel

Jim Crosswell
09-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Nice image Sanjeev. I agree with Rachel on taking some off the RHS and top. I like the perch, pose, sharpness and high key effect.

Girish Prahalad
09-14-2013, 07:21 AM
well done with the exposure. like the comp in the OP & details look good.

Loi Nguyen
09-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Sanjeev, I think you did very well on this trip. I saw this eagle may be twice but didn't get any good shot. You exposed well here for both the white and dark feather. Look like it was an overcast day, so I think you did well with the high key approach. Agreed on taking off right and top. Loi

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks Loi, we saw about 3 Martials, and this was the best perch and as you rightly said it was overcast which helped. Except for leopard (saw one but no clear shot) we had good sightings.