PDA

View Full Version : Robberfly

Nancy Bell
09-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Photographed in Michigan with early morning dew. The robberfly seems like such a character when viewing straight into its face! Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100 f2.8 macro lens, tripod, live view, manual exposure, 1/2.5 sec, f 16, ISO 400, fill flash at -2. C & C most appreciated.

Mitch Haimov
09-12-2013, 11:19 PM
This robberfly really does look quite the character! You picked a great POV that makes excellent use of the limited DOF available--the sharp legs add a lot of interest and I love the way the middle left one wraps around the perch. WD.

shane shacaluga
09-13-2013, 04:25 AM
Great macro! Love the water droplets on the eyes and the leg arrangement

BG is super

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
09-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Wow you ceratinly nailed this little chap, wonderful detail. This for me is one of those images that shows the subject very well in the environment, there is however a slight problem I suspect for some in so far that the plant is a little on the busy side. I accept that and I can still enjoy looking at the subject.

Steve Maxson
09-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Hi Nancy. I don't think I've seen quite this view of a robber fly before :S3: - and all those dew drops on the eyes really make the image! Excellent sharpness on your subject and I like the soft light, comp and background. I think this could also work well as a vertical if you cropped from the left about to where the first leaf comes off the stem. This is very well done!

Nancy Bell
09-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Here is a vertical version. WDYT?

Steve Maxson
09-13-2013, 01:44 PM
This works for me, Nancy. Makes a nice alternate presentation.

Diane Miller
09-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Both are excellent but the second does take me right to the amazing water droplets more quickly.

I love how the claws are grasping the plant like bird's talons.