PDA

View Full Version : New technology or old flagship

shane shacaluga
09-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Hoping you can help me out, I was planning to make the move to FX and buy the Nikon D600 or the D610 which will hopefully be announced in the next few days.

I have however, found a very decent and low priced Nikon D3 which is a dated camera but was the nikon flagship a few years back

Would you be inclined to go for new technology or something with a proven track record like the used D3?

Thanks

Shane

Markus Jais
09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
I think this depends on your use cases? If you need a fast frame rate, a very robust camera (e.g. for rain, sand, etc) the D3 might be a better choice.
If you want more resolution the D600/610 is a better choice.

I would look at my use cases and requirements and then decide. Each camera is different and has different advantages / disadvantages.

I recently had to decide between the EOS 5D Mark III and the 1DX. Both are great but the 1DX is about twice as expensive. I ended up with the 1DX anyway because I need the features of the 1DX like even better AF (due to more powerful battery) and fast frame rate (12fps vs. 6fps). In the end it was those features that led me to the 1DX.

Markus

shane shacaluga
09-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Thanks Markus, i dont really use my camera in very tough conditions and the resolution will allow me to crop keeping more detail.

The D3 would give me a better AF and faster FPS. Noise at high ISO seems to be better on the D600 so I assume what was cutting edge in the day is now normal performance

I will wait for Nikons move then finally make my decision

Regards

John Chardine
09-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi Shane- You may not print but if you do, and you want to make large prints at some stage, then you would find 12MP very limiting.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Shane, have you looked at a D800? you can get one refurbished for right around $2300. Just a bit more than a new D600, but the AF alone may be worth it. I wasn't a fan of the spread of points on the D600 as they were all bunched up in the center.

shane shacaluga
09-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys! The D800 is also on my list but was worried abiut the huge file sizes. Hoping the D610 has the newer AF of the d7100 if not i will definitely consider the D800