PDA

View Full Version : Totem Pole Sunrise

David Kennedy
05-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Canon 5D & 70-200mm f/4L lens @ 126mm
Six horizontal captures exposed at 1/125 sec. @ f/11, ISO 160

Horizontal frames...from me. Can you believe it? :)

David Steele
05-08-2008, 01:34 AM
A superb panoramic David, just a pity the sun wasn't a little more to the left. What a stunning subject for landscape photography . . . would be good to see some close-ups of the Totem Pole. You guys in the US are spoilt for subject matter!

David Kennedy
05-08-2008, 03:15 AM
You're absolutely right re: the sun position. I actually have another pano that I'm working on that has the sun in a better spot (from a few minutes earlier). However, the earlier one had more of a blue/magenta theme, as opposed to the orange/yellow that were found in this one. Funny what a few minutes can do...

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Horizontal frames...from me. Can you believe it? :)

Never thought I would see that. :)

Nice work David. Like this one a lot.

What are your thoughts on the large open area on the right? Does it make the image unbalanced? Just trying to get a feel on how to compose this type of subject, so I am still up-in-the-air on that.

Roman Kurywczak
05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
What are your thoughts on the large open area on the right? Does it make the image unbalanced? Just trying to get a feel on how to compose this type of subject, so I am still up-in-the-air on that.[/quote]

Looking and debating also David. I've re-posted possible crop........but I find that i don't mind the right hand side space.......but I also like the crop version. Looks like you could go either way with this one as per peoples tastes. Nice luxury to have. Nicely done.

David Kennedy
05-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Roman,
It's funny you present that: I actually had thought about cropping it almost exactly like that. One thing it offered was it shifted the sun away from the center of the image, but for some ineffable reason I decided I liked the extended ridgeline. But if someone told me they wanted a print or a license of the cropped version, my only question would be: cash or check? :)

Roman Kurywczak
05-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Ahhh......and that is the only appropriate answer!