PDA

View Full Version : Gila Woodpecker on Ocotillo

Rick Bowers
09-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Gila Woodpecker male on Ocotillo branch - Tucson, Arizona, United States - April

50D, Aperature, 500, 1/500 sec; f/10; ISO 320, food to attract.

Sandy Witvoet
09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Beautiful bird and perch! I am a fan of "over the shoulder" looks... well done. Does seem that the Ocotillo is taking a bit of "center stage" from the Gila, maybe due to its bright color (red always seems to "come forward" to the eye) and also extra space on the left? Absolutely lovely BG.

Karl Egressy
09-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice perch, pose and background. The composition would be better if you push the flower right to the left top corner IMO.

Nick Palmieri
09-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I like the perch and think the pose shows off his back well. I think the BG could use some NR.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Love the image overall, pose, detail perch bg but feel it is a bit bright maybe due to some harsh light?

Martin Dunn
09-11-2013, 02:45 AM
A very colourful image which shows off the markings of the woodpecker well.
The Ocotillo is a wee bit too close to the bird and is therefore quite a distraction because it is so bright.
I do find the overall image a bit bright/harsh - which could be due to over-sharpening.
Composition wise I might have used a more vertical crop which let the branch run from bottom right to top left leaving your woodpecker placed a little bit higher in the photo.

Marina Scarr
09-11-2013, 08:19 PM
I am really enjoying the comp you chose and the pose. Agree on the light being a tad sharp but you appear to have handled it well.

Satish Ranadive
09-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Rick,Excellent image of beautiful woodpecker. I like the flowering perch and it's angle with respect to bird.Love the pose, nice HA, details,nice green BG and composition.Regards,Satish.

LinzRiverBalmer
09-12-2013, 06:05 AM
I love these birds, they are so fun.

great on the bird... I think the ocotillo could be toned down a bit so it doesn't compete with the colors on the woodpecker.

just a little too much glare on the oranges and yellows in the flowers. I like the comp very much.

mohammad reza shahab
09-14-2013, 01:30 PM
very Nice perch, pose and background.