PDA

View Full Version : Leopard at night

Marlies Vermeesch
09-10-2013, 01:15 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/9s3pna.jpg

Hello,
My first photo was at the wrong place but this one belongs at wildlife.
Just after getting in the car a huge leopard crossed our way.
Please send me your tips or comments how or what to improve.

Tech. data: Canon EOS 50D; Shutter speed 1/200; f4.5; ISO 1600; Lens EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS; Focal length 100mm.

Thanks,
Marlies

Rachel Hollander
09-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi Marlies - Welcome to the Wildlife Forum. It's always exciting to see a leopard. You did well with the 50D and high ISO. Is the light from a spot or from your headlights? You mentioned a car rather than a safari vehicle. I like the raised paw and bit of motion blur there for the stalking effect. Check out some of Brendon Cremer's posts, he is an expert at spotlit images. Hopefully, he'll see yours and be able to offer some advice for your techs in the field.

TFS,
Rachel

Marlies Vermeesch
09-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Hello Rachel,

thank you for this feedback.
About the light it was from the spotlight from our safari vehicle.
On this photo nothing is changed excepts the white balance.

I hope Brendon will reply as well or I will ask him.

BR
Marlies

Martin Dunn
09-11-2013, 02:52 AM
A very striking image Marlies.
It must have been very exciting not only to see the leopard but to see your own photos afterwards.
I like the fact that there is only a small pool of light which the leopard is almost passing through.

I think that the image might benefit from a bit of colour boost but others wil know far better than me how to maximise the impact.
well done.

edwardselfe
09-11-2013, 06:07 AM
I don't usually like images of animals in the spotlight, but this has really caught my attention. You managed to capture a sharp image at 1/200s which is pretty good and you have given the impression of catching a glimpse of this stealthy predator as it stalks through the night. I love it. good job.
Ed

hennieloots
09-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi Marlies - I absolutely love this image. The composition with leopard horizontally centered, "caught" passing through the light creates an feeling that makes me wish I was there! I also think the motion blur in the foot adds to this. TFS.
Regards
Hennie

Morkel Erasmus
09-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Welkom by het forum, Marlies! :bg3:
I like the motion and mood you captured here. The leopard could use a colour boost here and I would experiment in toning down the bright highlights (I think the light was a bit too strong here, I know some lodges use orange filters to tame the harsh spotlights?). Brendon should be able to add more advice in processing this and also handling the exposure in a similar future situation.

On another note - I hope you will find the time to add some of your own thoughts to some of the other threads on here...that's how we all learn and get to know each other! :5

Brendon Cremer
09-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Lovely image Marlies, you have done well, you have captured good motion and detail which is needed in these type of images. Processing wise, i would start by changing white balance to tungsten and then adjusting the warmness slider to taste, one of the main issues in these type of images is blowing the highlights, be careful with this. In your image i would definitely warm it up a little and then reduce the highlights around the side of her face and eye. Comp wise its not bad i may be inclined to crop a little off the top, bottom and left hand side, otherwise it a really great effort and well executed.