PDA

View Full Version : Scruffy

Roy Priest
09-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Male House Sparrow looking a little worse for wear. Taken in my back yard a few hours ago.
Nikon D4, ISO 800, 1/200@ F5.6, 500F4

gail bisson
09-10-2013, 09:54 AM
This is terrific Roy!
perfect mottled green BG and HA. IQ is excellent.
The perch is wonderful and even better because of the diagonal line and berries.
Do you have a tiny bit more room at the bottom to move the berry away from the edge?
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
09-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Looks great even though it is scruffy. I like the subdued lighting, perhaps a bit of a blue cast to tweak (adding yellows to the color balance should work). Nice simple image design and the comp mostly works...I just think pointing the lens down (or cropping in post as such) to place the subject higher in the frame and give more room for the bottom berry would work very well.

Rachel Hollander
09-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Hi Roy - your title drew me in but then when I opened it, it just pops so well from the screen. Nice HA, colors, contrast and dof. Good suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Melissa Groo
09-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Don't see it as scruffy, it's a beautiful bird in a natural phase. Gorgeous details, sharpness, colors. I could see a bit more room at bottom too so berry not so close to edge. All around a knockout image.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Great light, wonderful detail, perch and bg. I would like to see it cropped a little tighter and I brought it in PS to try it. More room on left side and some off the top and right side worked for me.

Roy Priest
09-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Gail, Daniel, Rachel, Melissa and Cheryl, thanks for your comments. It is unfortunately full frame and was a quick grab shot as I was focused on the Chickadees and this fellow flew in. Only got 4 images at a 10 frame rate.

jack williamson
09-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Everything being in focus, the ton of detail on the bird, the very nice BG all make up for the scruffiness.

Jack

Shawn Zierman
09-11-2013, 08:31 AM
For me, it's just nice to see this subject on a nice perch with a nicely controlled background. This type of image elevates my opinion of the species. Regarding composition, I pulled the image into PS and just cropped about 3/4 to 1 inch off the top for a pano feel and thought it worked better than as is...Very nice house sparrow image sir.

BobbyPerkins
09-13-2013, 10:48 PM
I agree with Daniel, had you pointed down a smidge below that bottom berry, and a little of the top givin the position of the bird. Still a very nice, clean graphical capture. (Of a bird I Hate at my feeders!)

mohammad reza shahab
09-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Great light, wonderful detail, perch and BG.