PDA

View Full Version : 1DX: new Canon article about iTR AF feature

Markus Jais
09-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Interesting article about the iTR feature of the 1DX AF system.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_afpoint_selection_using_color_information.s html?categoryId=12

Have to try this with BIF. Still learning this amazing camera.

Any experiences?

Markus

arash_hazeghi
09-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Hi Markus,

This feature is not useble for BIF, it should be avoided. iTR is only active when you use automatic AF point selection (aka all focus points). the camera is supposed to then use meter information to identify the subject and track it based on color and some other parameters (with a preference towards picking up human faces). It is more like an "AF mode for idiots" IMO.

If you use it for BIF with non-sky BG, AF will likely lock on the BG and sit there.

good luck

Markus Jais
09-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Arash, thanks for the insight. So far I've only used the central sensor alone or the central sensor and the 8 sensors around it. Results with that setup as described in your ebook are great.

Maybe it can work for perched birds with big eyes.

Here is an interesting 1DX review by Andy Rouse:
http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/blog/223.php

If you go the headline "Face detection" it has some interesting examples with a short-eared owl.
On the other hand, with rear focus and recompose this might be more reliable.

With owls it might work because owls eyes evolved to be close to each other for binocular vision. Might also work with mammal predators like pumas or leopards.
I doubt it wold work with a shorebird or a hare who have the eyes on the side of the head.

Will do more testing to see if I find some use for that feature. Next week I have a 3 hour seminar with Canon AF experts about the 1DX AF system. Will be interesting to see
what they have to tell - and if any of them has any experience with birds and other wildlife. The Canon AF guide is great but has only sport photography examples.

Markus

arash_hazeghi
09-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Markus,

I personally wouldn't use it for perched birds either, because if the bird starts to fly suddenly AF will jump around and you will likely miss the shot. IMO it is always better to rely on your skills than let the camera "think" and choose for you. It is like using manual vs. automatic transmission in racing.

Also, the reviewer does not mention, but if the owls were trained or captive (looks like he had several different owl species in one location? ) it is not really a challenging situation, you can repeat the same thing over and over and the auto mode will eventually get something too.

good luck

Markus Jais
09-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Arash, I agree that relying too much on camera "magic" might result in unique opportunities left. I will stay with a manually chosen AF point either central or manually with the "joystick" button. I will try those features with birds at places where I go regularly to see if it has any value in some situations.
Would be stupid to try this on a trip to Africa with the first Martial Eagle that comes along :-)

Markus