PDA

View Full Version : Falls

Don Nelson
09-09-2013, 11:21 PM
OK, Dan has got me looking back at some of my digital waterfalls (sorry but I don't have a way yet to scan years of 8x10 chromes).....
Here's one....I don't recall the name but it is up in Glacier-Waterton NP.

5D3, 50mm f1.2, ND1.8 (6 stops), 1.6 second, f/10, manual, ISO 200. No the whites are not blown in raw or posted jpg. Not sure what the posting software will do.
C&C always appreciated. I've thought about cropping a little of the right side - what do you think?

Don Railton
09-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi Don
I like this as it is and would not crop from the right. I think that would cramp things too much. Not sure if its a result of the posting software but the rocks (especially on the left face) could do with a little more sharpening IMHO.

DON

dankearl
09-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Lovely Don,
Looks more like a desert Falls than one in Glacier.
I would not change the comp at all, I like the tree on the right side and I really like the SS, water is super.
As is my want, I juiced it up and cloned out the light at the top, I really don't like sky in waterfalls, it always looks bland
and I either crop or clone it out. A personal thing.

20130805_WGNP_waterfalldk.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132379&stc=1&d=1378788073)

Don Nelson
09-09-2013, 11:43 PM
thanks, Don -- good catch -- they were not sharpened except at ACR stage. Should have a round of output sharpening for this and the trees. Water wasn't sharpened and won't be

Don Nelson
09-09-2013, 11:45 PM
thanks, Dan
removing the light at the top seems to make a difference. Actually I like it better too, after comparing both

dankearl
09-09-2013, 11:49 PM
I should also add, Don, your eye for color balance is so good, your water whiteness is perfect, I really struggle with that.
I need a "white" card!

Don Lacy
09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi Don, I like the flow of the image and the contrast between the hard rocks and soft water. The whites are perfect here and I like Dan's choice to get rid of the sky

Andrew McLachlan
09-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Hi Don, lovely capture. I really like the diagonals in the rock and the two cascades are beautiful. I too would crop a smidge off the top to eliminate the white sky from showing...sometimes best to leave it in during the photographic process in the field and then address it back at the computer. Lovely work!!!

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Can't believe I missed this...
:e3

Lovely scene, works well for me. I'd be tempted to sharpen the cliff face just a bit more...and maybe bump up overall vibrance just a tad for a bit more spunk?