PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Gardens

dankearl
09-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Trying my best to keep things lively here.
Another Fall from the weekend (I will post something else next time).
Panther Creek Falls in southern Washington Cascades. It would be famous if it
were not so out of the way. I am glad it is mostly unheard of......
It is fun to search out and find these.
This is a 120 foot drop.

1/2, f11, iso100, 21mm, D800, Handheld braced on a tree.

DSC_7774bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132370&stc=1&d=1378781595)

Don Nelson
09-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Nice find, Dan!
I think you could lose some of the blue.
And for me, a vertical works better -- there is a whole lot of not very much happening on the right side.
I'd run the healing brush over a couple of really bright spots on the top edge and near top edge, and keep the lower left corner a little darker so the eye does not wander down there and out of the image.
Maybe something like this (and if you remake a vertical, or maybe took one already when you were there, I'd add a little of the top edge back and a little on the left side)....

dankearl
09-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks Don, I thought the larger view gave a prospective to the scene, but the vertical makes sense and
I did take a bunch.
This is actually my favorite crop.
There is so much going on at this falls, I think it might be the
best in the northwest and that is saying a lot.

DSC_7792bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132375&stc=1&d=1378786358)

Don Lacy
09-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Dan, This is the best looking fall so far it has so much character I like Don crop along with your second repost, the water looks good with no blown areas just a touch to blue and I though the sunlit areas where a little to bright so I fixed both issue in PS

Andrew McLachlan
09-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Dan...I like the crop in Pane #3 the best. You are capturing some very lovely waterfall scenes these days and your processing of them is getting better with each one. My only suggestion is to try and tone down the sun hitting the water along the top edge a little bit. You waterfalls are getting me primed for my trip up along Lake Superior next week where I am hoping to capture many waterfalls.

Morkel Erasmus
09-15-2013, 06:33 AM
A nice one! I like Don Nelson's vertical crop as well as your 2nd version. Don Lacy's repost colours and luminance really makes it shine.
In a perfect world the branch coming in lower LHC would have been missing :w3.
Did you play around with some Nik filters here?