PDA

View Full Version : Long Point Dunes

Andrew McLachlan
09-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Here is another photo from my trip out to Long Point on Lake Erie in Ontario. I was certainly not blessed with the nicest light and the rains began as I was finishing up. I tried a few various comps of the sand dunes and grasses typical of the habitat here. This is the first one I have processed of the dunes. Can't decided if the sky has a little too much blue to it or not?

Used Color Efex for a touch of detail extractor on the sand and the grad filter in Color Efex to darken the sky a touch. Also used Viveza on the grasses, sand, and clouds for a little structure adjustment.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm @ 18mm
ISO 400
f16 @ 1/30 sec

dankearl
09-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Nice sharp tranquil beach grass scene, Andrew.
The trees add to the comp and good detail in the clouds.
The sand has a bit of a magenta caste, nice, not sure if you intended it.

Don Nelson
09-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Hi, Andrew
Just catching up on the posts here. Sorry to be later.
Nice tranquil image of the dunes. Killer sky. and the water looks very interesting. Honestly, I could see this cropped into a long strip - leaving just halfway up the more distance grasses. That sky is that good!
By any chance did you got forward 20 feet and make images of just the sky and water? I'd love to see some of those posted if you have them.
Best
Don

Andrew McLachlan
09-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks Dan and Don, much appreciate the comments.

Dan...I am not good with noticing the subtle color casts...thanks for pointing it out...will tone it down a touch.

Don...sorry did not step forward for that image...but it is an excellent idea.

Morkel Erasmus
09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Nice scene and I don't mind the blue in the sky Andrew...
I do think you overcooked the "Structure" in the grasses somewhat? I am very iffy on using Viveza at all in combination with Color Efex as they often seem to conflict with one another ito fine detail in my shots at least.

Andrew McLachlan
09-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Much thanks Morkel, the seed heads of the grasses are not sharp...blurred with strong winds...perhaps making them appear overcooked...when I use the various Nik programs I am almost always reducing the opacity of their respective layers, which seems to make them work well. I do agree with you though in that sometimes they can work against each other depending on which sliders are being manipulated.