PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Scaup

Ivan Ellison
09-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Not such a rarity for you good people on the far side of the pond, but a bird that causes a great rush of twitchers on our side. This bird has been present for a couple of days on Pennington flash, Leigh and will hopefully remain for a few more as it completes its moult. The areas that are normally black with a purple sheen show quite brown at present, especially in the evening light. I waited for 3 hrs for only a few shots in poor light, the bird then roosted on the water for another couple. Having given up and started on my way home the sun finally came out. Turned the car around as quickly as possible and hot footed it back. The bird had now woken up and was 10-15 feet from the bank. Bean bag and angle finder gave me the chance to get the lens low on the bankside rocks. Cropped approx. 20% off the frame, sharpened and lightened the shadow side of the bird. No more processing. Canon 1D mkIV, Canon 500 f4 is + 1.4 conv. 1/800 sec, f 7.1. ISO 640.- cant seem to get my shift button working to put in paragraphs only on this site though- any ideas?

jack williamson
09-09-2013, 07:20 PM
I admire your persistence Ivan. Tough lighting here, the shadow side of the face must have been pretty dark, maybe tone down the bright eye a bit, great low shooting angle. Love the cocked head pose. I hope he stays around for awhile for you.

Jack

Shawn Zierman
09-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Wow, that's close. Sweet feather details, particularly on the top of the head. I enjoy the strong sense of a triangular composition,...another photograph where centering the subject works. Low angle dedication payed nice dividends here.

Robert Kimbrell
09-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Nice, feather detail and beautiful rich brown color. You did well to get so low. Processing wise , I think Jack is right to try and tone down the bright eye. A very attractive bird, I hope you get more of him.

Ivan Ellison
09-11-2013, 03:30 AM
Agree with you on the eye, does look better with it toned down

Marina Scarr
09-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Interesting perspective. I rather like the side lighting, the cocked head and all feather details. Agree the eye is a bit hot.

mohammad reza shahab
09-14-2013, 01:02 PM
great low shooting angle,light,pose and very nice light.