PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Sundew (Drosera macrantha ssp macrantha)

Charlie Schwencke
09-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Climbing Sundew (Drosera macrantha ssp macrantha)A slender, climbing plant. May grow to 50cm or more, twining amongst supporting shrubs. Moderately common in the Victorian goldfields forests.
Pentax K30 Tamron 35-70mm MF Macro Lens.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7382/9705233975_cb81af71b9_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/charliek200d/9705233975/)

Nancy Bell
09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Very interesting & fascinating composition with the flower sharp and the bkgd becoming progressively more blurred and colorful. I especially like the colors in the UR and the swirls! Some might consider the bkgd busy, but I think it adds life and contrast as well as placing the beautiful white blossom in context. I would consider cropping from the bottom just above your name. Also, I'm sure the area of bright green along the left side are natural but they do appear quite bright and I would experiment with some minor selective desaturation.

Steve Maxson
09-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Hi Charlie and welcome to the Macro forum! Sundews are cool carnivorous plants. I'm not familiar with this rather robust species - the ones we have over here are tiny and hidden away in sphagnum bogs. (It would help us give more meaningful critiques if you listed your ss, f/stop, and ISO. And please note, for future reference, that images should not be more that 900 pixels on the vertical side. :S3: ) The whites are nicely handled and you have good sharpness on the flower - except that the yellow stamens are just outside your DOF - a bit more DOF in that area would improve your image. In my view, the OOF background isn't adding much to the image - I might suggest cropping some from the bottom and left and a little from the right . This would tighten the comp and focus more attention on your subject. You might also consider reducing the opacity of your signature such that it is not the most prominent feature of your image. :S3: It would still be very readable at say, 70% opacity and would not overshadow your subject. I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!