PDA

View Full Version : Buff Breasted Sandpiper (juvenile).

Shawn Zierman
09-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Photograhed this buff breasted sandpiper recently on the shore of Lake Superior/Minnesota. Canon7d, Sigma50/500os, iso800, f9, 1/1000, removed one bit of debris flying through the air in front of the bird that the bird had just had in it's bill, selective NR to the bg and fg, selective USM to the subject and fg. I'm well aware that some will prefer the oof driftwood and large specular highlight from the oncoming wave, removed from the image. I prefer them here for visual interest, in an otherwise "clean" looking setting. Nearly full frame at less than 400mm....very tame birds at times. Comments and critiques welcome.
Regards,
Shawn Zierman.

Greg Oakley
09-08-2013, 10:25 PM
This image is sensational Shawn - best wader image I've seen for quite a while - great work

Satish Ranadive
09-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Wonderful image with superb IQ, great lights,lovely BG, beautiful colors and composition.
Love the pose with raised foot, beautiful HA and nice details.

Regards,
Satish.

MohsenVahedipour
09-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Excellent work Shawn. Magnificent light & IQ with lovely pose, Shooting angle & BG. TFS

hennieloots
09-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Hi Shawn - Excellent image. Superb light, angle of view and IQ. I agree on leaving the specular highlight, they do add to the image for me. Great job at the NR.
Regards
Hennie

Nick Palmieri
09-09-2013, 06:56 AM
I would not change a thing. Great IQ good pose. very very nice!

Grace Scalzo
09-09-2013, 08:17 AM
I'm not going to list the positives of this image as they are clear and many. As for that highlight... you say visual interest. I say distraction. But to each his or her own. I personally would blend it in with the wave. As is, it's oddly unnatural to my eye and pulls me away from the wonderful subject with the striding pose and little meal in his beak.

Lyle Gruby
09-09-2013, 08:24 AM
This is gorgeous, but I agree with Grace about the specular highlight--I definitely find it more of a distraction than an enhancement. I agree with you about the driftwood, I think it adds a little. I'd try a version with a little off the right and a little more on the left.

Shawn Zierman
09-09-2013, 08:30 AM
"I'm not going to list the positives of this image as they are clear and many. As for that highlight... you say visual interest. I say distraction. But to each his or her own. I personally would blend it in with the wave. As is, it's oddly unnatural to my eye and pulls me away from the wonderful subject with the striding pose and little meal in his beak."

THAT is exactly why I participate on this site! Such a pure and honest critique, with good economy of language. Made my morning, and a sincere thanks to the others that offered feedback.

Stu Bowie
09-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi Shawn, the thumbnail doesnt do this justice - superb IQ, low shooting angle, and of course, the striding pose takes this up a few notches. The detail and colours on the juvi stand out very well, and before reading any comments, I would have blended in the specular rounded highlights infront of the juvi's body. Very well captured.

Karl Egressy
09-09-2013, 02:01 PM
You painted me green, Shawn. This is my dream bird. One day I might have chance. As far as your image is concerned, it has great details sharpness and pose.

Ivan Ellison
09-09-2013, 03:23 PM
As has been said, a great image. Agree with you about the wave in bg but I may have taken out the driftwood, it doesn't add much IMO, I like natural looking images and would have preferred it a little bigger and clearer if I was to leave it in. Looking at the POV you were either dug into the beach or you have one **** of a sore neck- unless you use an angle finder like I need to do now I am approaching 50.

Melissa Groo
09-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I agree on the specular highlight being a distraction, but everything else is utterly pleasing and perfect to my eye. Such a beautiful bird you have captured so well. I feel like I could just reach out and touch it. More than any other shorebird species, I hope to photograph this someday. Great work.

arash_hazeghi
09-10-2013, 01:42 AM
everything is excellent, but I would def let go of the specular reflection, it is not natural but an imperfection of the lens...

everything else is on the mark

Bill Dix
09-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Stunning image of this species; I don't think I've seen better. On my dream list. I'm with Grace and others about the highlight. Otherwise just magnificent.

Jim Crosswell
09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Excellent image Shawn! I like the clarity, raised foot, body angle, IQ, BG and composition. Another vote for blending in the highlight.

Girish Prahalad
09-12-2013, 06:35 AM
excellent shooting angle, details & exp. love the BG colors.

Tim King
09-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Top-notch photo, Shawn. Im not a fan of raised foot/moving shorebird photos but anytime you can see feet on a shorebird is a bonus. Fine job.

Frank Schauf
09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Beautiful portrait, great details and eye contact.