PDA

View Full Version : Silver-washed Fritillary (male)

Adrian David
09-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Model = NIKON D300
Exposure Time = 1/500"
F Number = F7.1
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Flash = Off
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 450mm
Lens = Nikkor 70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
HH.
Noise reduction applied to the BG

Not the best light conditions, and not easy to get him into the focal plane....

Anita Bower
09-08-2013, 06:17 AM
This is a beautiful butterfly. I like how the bg is smooth and complements the butterfly. It looks a bit overly sharpened and saturated. Did you sharpen and add saturation? Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Bell
09-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Good job getting in perfect position above this butterfly. It does seem overly bright and as Anita suggested, overly saturated.

Adrian David
09-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Thank you very much for the comments!
It looks a bit overly bright, and that's what you get when you post process your photos with a window in the BG, at noon....:bg3:
Usually, I do my PP later in the evening, when it gets dark outside....My fault....:bg3:
Here it is a slightly different version....

Mitch Haimov
09-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Cool subject in great condition and sharp throughout. Repost is an improvement. Have a bit of an optical illusion going on--what at first glance appears to be the perch stops just below the right rear wing (and I'll be really impressed if you pulled this image off while the silver-washed was in flight!). Angled comp works well, tho I wish the subject was further left and lower in the frame. Looks like you have an OOF dust spot below right front wing.

Jonathan Ashton
09-09-2013, 05:02 AM
I am trying not to read previous comments but of course I saw a repost. The repost is a big improvement on the first image though on checking the histogram the image is still compressed, the highlights are blown and the darker areas are over saturated. If possible I would revisit the raw file, start by reducing the exposure and then checking out the blacks. After this you will be able to deal with any over saturation of the yellows in Photoshop. The image is sharp and well exposed I think it is worthwhile spending some time on it.

Steve Maxson
09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi Adrian. You found a nice specimen and captured it with good sharpness and a pleasing background. I also like the diagonal of the comp. The repost is an improvement, but still looks over bright and over saturated to my eye. Jon has some good suggestions for you to consider in that regard. I might also suggest cropping a little from the bottom and left. You have the makings of a fine image and I think it's worth spending a little more time on in PP. :S3: