Captured this past weekend...

40D w/ 70-200 f/4 @168mm
1/20sec f/11 iso100

Thanks for looking,
John

Roman Kurywczak
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi John,
Know the area well..........you definitely chose the right time of day. I find the FG shadow somewhat overpowering....and 1/2 hour earlier....you may not have had it or........crop even more of it from the bottom............my final recommendation is in my signitaure.........as the grad ND filter.......would have brought the snow capped La Sal Mtn's into tonal range! Did yo use a Polariser????..........that's another huge filter.....even in the digital world as it would have cut some of the haze. Nice composition.

John Blumenkamp
05-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Roman... thanks for the reply - I agree... lol.

How would you attempt to tone down the La Sals to some degree in post-processing? By the way, I did use a polarizer, but did not have any grad ND with me.

Thanks,
John

David Billingsley
05-08-2008, 07:49 AM
John,

Very nice shot. I love the Moab area and all it has to offer. I also use a polarizer a lot and plan to order a GND setup today.

BTW, did you happen to go to the Dewey Bridge site? It recently burned down completely - what a sad thing.

Enjoyed your Fisher Tower shot - Have a blessed day - dave b.

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2008, 11:48 AM
The FG shadow does not bother me. I like the dark to light to dark to light transitions as it layers the image and draws you in. Plus the arrangement of the layers forms a diagonal. Nice touch.

In PS use a gradient mask on a curves adjustment to manipulate the contrast in the mountains.

Ed Cordes
05-11-2008, 08:55 PM
This is a nice fresh perspective of this beautiful location. The FG shadow does not bother me as it is part of the nature of the location. I like the contrast between the red rock of the towers and the LaSal mountains. However, the more I look at it the more I think it would be better if the top of the towers weren't so close to the BG ridge line. Having the ridge line above the tower would be ideal. I am not quite sure how yo could have accomplished this

Judd Patterson
05-11-2008, 11:57 PM
The La Sal Mtn's aren't that overexposed, so I think a 3-stop would have been way too much. I'd just touch them up a bit during RAW conversion. If using ACR I'd knock them back a bit with the recovery slider on the main settings page. The tone curve page also has a highlights adjustment that might be useful. Lovely scene!