PDA

View Full Version : Sheppards Dell

dankearl
09-07-2013, 05:55 PM
In my continuing quest to photo every waterfall in the NW......
This is the upper part of a waterfall adjacent to all the Big falls in the Columbia Gorge that folks drive over on the scenic highway and never stop to walk down a flight of stairs
to the small viewing platform. The big drop occurs right below me but is barely visible from the highway. I like this small section...

1/6, f8, iso200, 25mm, Grad filter, D800

DSC_7682bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132292&stc=1&d=1378594371)

Markus Jais
09-08-2013, 04:08 AM
Wonderful shot with a great composition. I like the intensive colors in that shot.

Markus

Don Lacy
09-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Dan I thinnk this is my favorite so far the water looks good and the comp has a nice flow to it leading the viewers eye nicely through the frame. My only suggestion would be to tone the white of the water at the very top of the fall

Lyle Gruby
09-09-2013, 09:27 AM
I really like the intimate feel here. I like that you have flow from the top left through the bottom right. It feels heavy on the right side to me--maybe take a little off the left and add a little on the right. Or you could add a vignette.

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I like the overall scene and compositional flow here, Dan...but felt the OP is a bit flat and needs some "punch".
After some selective dodging and burning all over, I used Nik's Viveza, and Color Efex 4 (tonal contrast and detail extractor) filters here. What do you think?

dankearl
09-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Looks good Morkel, I worry sometimes I over do PP, But I like what you have done.

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Dan, we all worry about that...but these scenes IMHO need deep contrast and vivid highlights in order to jump out from the flat even lighting that so often persists in them...wouldn't you agree?

Andrew McLachlan
09-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi Dan, love the composition here and great use of the grad filter to help capture the range of bright whites to dark shadows. Morkel's tweaks make this my favorite of all your waterfalls so far!

Diane Miller
09-09-2013, 11:16 PM
This is a very well-done composition. For me, the detail and contrast in the UR quadrant competes a little too much with the lovely water. What wold you think about toning it down in that area?