PDA

View Full Version : Black-throated Green Warbler, male.

Tim King
09-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Taken early this July while on vacation. This hemlock was covered in these small caterpillars/bud worms.
The male would collect a mouthful and then feed the fledgling hiding in the shrubs below.
7D, 300mm f4 L IS + 1.4TC
ISO 800, f5.6, 1/60, HH, observing.
typical PS noise reduction on BG.

Best.

Alan Murphy
09-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Excellent balance of habitat and BG. The pose is great and the insects add a lot.

Doug Brown
09-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Nice behavior and habitat. I like the pose too. You didn't have much light, and you paid for it with a shutter speed that was a little too slow to render a sharp frame. Even though you're using a 7D, I'd still go with a higher ISO and a faster shutter speed in light like this. I'd consider burning the LLC.

Daniel Cadieux
09-07-2013, 07:55 PM
I've always enjoyed hemlocks for warbler photography, maybe because that's where they like to hang out at the cottage, but mostly because they provide beautiful settings. Good comp and I like the amount of branches vs the amount of BG showing. The IQ looks a bit off as if the image was cropped lots. Contrast is strong with some hot yellows and blocked blacks...both likely recoverable in raw conversion. Good point by Doug to tone down LLC.

hennieloots
09-08-2013, 01:19 AM
Hi Tim - I enjoyed the beautiful color and tone on the bird. I agree with maybe a little less contrast and managing the LHC - all doable I am sure. The meal in the beak is just the "cherry on the cake"!
Regards
Hennie

Grace Scalzo
09-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Warblers are so tricky but you've got some good stuff in camera here. Habitat, species, prey all working for you. Apply some of the tweaks suggested above and I think you'll have a pleasing image of this beauty.

Shawn Zierman
09-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Love the natural history on this one...bird paired with (in my mind) an appropriate perch/tree...yes warblers always look great on hemlock,...natural prey. Fantastic imo. I agree the lower left corner could be toned down a bit. Very nicely handled noise in the dark greenery bg. Love the glassy catchlight on the bird.

Satish Ranadive
09-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Beautiful image of beautiful bird. Very nice pose with prey in the beak, nice lights,colors and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
09-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi Tim, nicely framed in the foliage, and just love the placement of the warbler posed against the distant BG. Thats a nice juicy meal for the kids. :w3