PDA

View Full Version : Dew-covered Dragonfly

Nancy Bell
09-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I spent the past few weeks vacationing in the upper mid-west. In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan I discovered the joys of photographing insects covered in dew and unwilling to move! I also experimented with fill flash and focusing with live view. My horizons have been happily expanded! Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100 f2.8 macro lens, 1/13, f16, ISO 400, tripod, fill flash. c & c most appreciated.

Mitch Haimov
09-06-2013, 11:41 PM
VWD, Nancy! Some of the dew almost looks like ice crystals. Great subject, a lot of fine detail, comp works well, interesting perch. Nicely exposed and the yellows aren't over done. Ideally, lower edge of rear left wing would be sharper, but a minor point and this image works very well. Congrats!

hennieloots
09-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Hi Nancy - Beautiful colors and awesome detail. I do not know enough about the techs to comment, but great capture.
Regards
Hennie

Anita Bower
09-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Nancy: This is lovely. I love the sweep of the petals, and how the dragonfly matches the center of the flower. Nice details. The dew is gorgeous in the wings. I use Live View a lot. Thanks for sharing this beauty.

christopher galeski
09-08-2013, 06:42 AM
very nice capture,like the colors,sharp were it needs to be.

Nancy Bell
09-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Thank you all very much!

Jonathan Ashton
09-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Nancy you have done extremely well here, lovely colours and composition and excellent sharpness, a super image. I have a small doubt over saturation/contrast, I suspect the latter maybe a little high.

Nancy Bell
09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Thank you Jonathan. I did reduce some saturation on the yellows. Frequently I'll use the preset of "linear contrast" on the curves adjustment as it is usually a small adjustment. But I'll take another look.

Steve Maxson
09-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi Nancy. This is one of your best Macro shots! I like the head-on view, you have very good sharpness and DOF, the background is pleasing, and all the dew drops add interest to the image. Also, good use of flash and live view focus (I've become a big fan of live view focusing when I have a cooperative subject!). This is very nicely done!

Jason Stander
09-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Agree with all the above comments... stunning shot Nancy... sublime detail and dof plane... love the perch and how it is incorporated in the image... VWD!:w3