PDA

View Full Version : Garden Route Sunset

Morkel Erasmus
09-05-2013, 04:45 PM
This one was taken on Christmas weekend in a place called Brenton-on-Sea (next to Knysna on the Garden Route of the SA South Coast).
I am not entirely happy with the colours here. They are somewhat accurate to what I recall, but I tried to reduce the magenta in the FG but it just looked weird when I reduced it.
Any other suggestions are welcome! :e3

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
f11 | ISO-200
Blend of 3 exposures
Shot in pouring rain trying to keep the lens and camera somewhat dry!

dankearl
09-05-2013, 06:15 PM
I think the color is fine, a bit of a magenta, but not overpowering. I might lighten the left side rock just a bit for a little more detail.
I also think a bit more FG and a bit less sky (thirds) would look good.

Andrew McLachlan
09-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi Morkel, I also think it looks great the way it is...I am pondering a crop from the top if you were to print this but negative space above is good for publishing purposes. Have you thought about using Viveza 2 and increasing the warmth slider somewhat on the sky?

Don Railton
09-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Hi Morkel

Looks great to me...! I like the sharp well defined rocks in the foreground and the play of light you have captured on these. The birds on the rock also add IMHO. I to pondered a crop from the top. The 'white' water in the waves is a bit off colour, but at this time of night maybe not... Would never have guessed it was pouring rain...

DON

Rachel Hollander
09-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Morkel - I also think the colors look great and would not worry about the magenta in the fg. It's a beautiful, tranquil scene. I would consider a little more sharpening of the rocks jutting in on the left.

TFS,
Rachel

Markus Jais
09-08-2013, 04:57 AM
Colors work for me here, great shot. I like the placement of the sun.

Markus

hennieloots
09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Hi Morkel - The colors look fine to me, adds to the mood and serenity of the scene. I would also lighten the rock on the left, it could add even more to the image, especially with the silhouettes visible. The FG rocks adds interest. I am fine with the central horizon in this image, the large rock on the left balances it for me.
Regards
Hennie

Don Lacy
09-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Wonderful image Morkel, love the colors and foreground rocks I think the comp work well with the placement of the horizon in the middle the large rock on the left would over power the image if there was less sky and I would not crop any of the foreground just to move the horizon line either.

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for your feedback, folks. Just shows you - if we are unsure about something in an image - solicit feedback from others whom you trust...
:5

Don Nelson
09-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Morkel
Well seen and imaged. Great composition. I personally like a little less magenta. Perhaps something more like this (have to watch the sky with these 8 bit jpgs posted - I am hoping that it won't posterize when it is posted here)
Best, Don