PDA

View Full Version : Rosseau River Revisited

Andrew McLachlan
09-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Same scene, in the horizontal orientation this time, one week later after a couple of days of heavy rains increased the volume of water in the river slightly. Once again I used the new Nikon 18-35mm lens for this scene. I am quite enjoying this lens for its light weight and superb corner-to-corner sharpness. Can't wait to take it up to Lake Superior in a couple of weeks for autumn colors.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm @ 27mm
ISO 250
f16 @ 1.3 sec
Polarizer
Bubble-level in the hot-shoe

Look forward to comments.

Don Lacy
09-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Andrew, Another fine image with a strong foreground and I feel just the right amount of the forest in the top of the frame to give the viewer a nice sense of place. I do have one issue with the comp and that is with the flow of the water in the right side of the frame it leads the viewers eye out of the image and the comp also cuts the pool that the water is flowing into in an awkward way, I think I little wider to include more of the water and the pool would work much better.

Roman Kurywczak
09-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Hey Andrew,
Tough choices when composing with water and the slow SS.....but I think you handled it well. I can also see Don's point of wider though.....so tough call. The curve of the water is very nice!

Rachel Hollander
09-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi Andrew - I had a look at your other image as well. I think the colors and sharpness are better here. I wonder if a crop from the right along these lines would address Don's concerns and improve the image. WDYT? Glad you are enjoying the new lens.

TFS,
Rahel

dankearl
09-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Yes to Rachel's repost. It strengthens the curve in the water for me.

Andrew McLachlan
09-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Much thanks folks...appreciate the comments.

Rachel, I like your repost very much and it also eliminates that little clump of maple leaves in the upper right corner that was bugging me...in hindsight I should have selected the 1.2x crop on the D800 to end up at your repost.

Don, wider was not much of an option as the sky would have started peaking through and the area closer to the bottom edge of the comp would have become very messy looking.

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I like Rachel's crop here, Andrew. I feel you could get more out of this (would have to start from RAW).
In this colour repost I enhanced with Nik Viveza and Color Efex, and then added a very very slight warming filter as well.

(I worked from Rachel's RP crop)

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2013, 02:26 PM
I actually liked this more for a monochrome...WDYT?

Andrew McLachlan
09-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks Morkel...I do like both versions that you reworked...the colour version has a little more punch to it and I think you are right about the B&W...will have to do a conversion too :S3: