PDA

View Full Version : Pronghorn

Bhushan Dalvi
09-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Pronghorn, Lamar Valley, Yellowstone NP, Wyoming.
D7100, 300mmf4 + 1.4 TC, f/5.6,1/500s, Manual.
Please let me know what you guys think.
Thanks
Bhushan

Steve Kaluski
09-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Hi Bhushan, nice looking Pronghorn, we only used to get to see these when Steve C used to post, so it's great to see a more close-up one.

Overall I quite like it and being on the incline I feel strengthens the composition and adds interest, I do however wish the bolder in the FG was not there, for me it's too dominating and detracts from the subject. I also would look at the RAW and get more detail from the eye, horn & muzzle, the blacks at present are too strong and choking the detail you have in there. Even with this web version, I can still extract form, so with the original it will be a breeze to adjust. I would look to adding some basic mid tone, this will really help define the legs more, with added structure to the overall body. I do like the overall colour and tones and the backdrop works well to separate the subject and the 'peppering' of yellow flowers adds interest.

Nice to be able to shoot ISO 100 with a good SS, based on the techs of -0.67 light was good, albeit a light bright. :S3:

TFS and hope to see more.

Steve

Markus Jais
09-03-2013, 03:08 PM
I like the walking pose and the composition. Light and colors also look beautiful. I agree with Steve about the boulder but this is just a minor distraction.
Markus

Loi Nguyen
09-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Good close up of a pronghorn. I have been to YNP several times, but have never been this close to a pronghorn. I love the details you get on the fur! The rest Steve already pointed out. Loi

Anette Mossbacher
09-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi Bhushan, very nice image of this fine animal. I really do like it, but have to agree with Steve. For me the rock is somehow creeping in the image. But in action we sometimes just oversee such things. Happens to me too :))

have a great eve

ciao Anette

Rachel Hollander
09-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Bhushan - I really like the fact that you captured the pronghorn as it walked on the ridge, makes for nice separation and creamy bokeh. I also wish the boulder wasn't so pronounced. As usual, Steve has made excellent suggestions to take this up a notch.

TFS,
Rachel

Bhushan Dalvi
09-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi Bhushan, nice looking Pronghorn, we only used to get to see these when Steve C used to post, so it's great to see a more close-up one.

Overall I quite like it and being on the incline I feel strengthens the composition and adds interest, I do however wish the bolder in the FG was not there, for me it's too dominating and detracts from the subject. I also would look at the RAW and get more detail from the eye, horn & muzzle, the blacks at present are too strong and choking the detail you have in there. Even with this web version, I can still extract form, so with the original it will be a breeze to adjust. I would look to adding some basic mid tone, this will really help define the legs more, with added structure to the overall body. I do like the overall colour and tones and the backdrop works well to separate the subject and the 'peppering' of yellow flowers adds interest.

Nice to be able to shoot ISO 100 with a good SS, based on the techs of -0.67 light was good, albeit a light bright. :S3:

TFS and hope to see more.

Steve

Steve, thanks a lot for an excellent and detailed critique. I will try and repost the picture with your suggestions. I wish I could have eliminated the bolder while shooting the pic itself but the animal was on a rocky slope with medium to large size boulders everywhere. It was very intresting to observe the behaviour of this guy with his harem of 8-10 females. The pic was shot at around 9 am and the sky had some clouds so the light kept on changing.

Thanks
Bhushan

Steve Kaluski
09-04-2013, 10:38 AM
You are most welcome Bhushan.

Look forward to more images from you and please take a moment if you can, to view and comment on other posts, it's a great way we ALL can learn from. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Hey Bushan,
Agree with Steve's suggestions and issue with boulder...but minor things and a few tweaks will make this shine!

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Welcome here Bhushan! I can't add much more to Steve's excellent critique...
I too like the diagonal slope and soft light (overcast conditions are our friends in wildlife photography, provided they don't block out the golden light at dawn and dusk LOL).
I'm not sure if I'm seeing a bit of a green cast, though? Looking forward to more of your work and also your input on other threads :5...

Steve Canuel
09-04-2013, 07:58 PM
One of my favorite critters, a nice flawless coat on this one. I like your BG, and while not ideal, the FG rock doesn't bother me too much because it ties in with the smaller one behind it giving a hint of the terrain. With the shape and size of the eyes on these animals, it seems you either get total blackness or reflected catchlights that cover half the eye. Some subtle dodging around the nose and eye on the faint lighter areas visible when zoomed in will get you a little more definition if you wish to do so.

Bhushan Dalvi
09-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Here is another version as per the suggestions. Please let me know what y'all think.

Steve Canuel
09-04-2013, 11:45 PM
The OOF sage foreground took the rock removal well and it looks like there's now some separation to help the eye stand out better from the merge with the point of the horn base.

Bhushan Dalvi
09-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Steve, thanks a lot. I am glad it worked out okay with limited PP skills.:)